Could someone give this a once over?

devisera

Solid State Member
Ok, just before anyone shouts at me for being stupid. This is my first ever attempt at putting this sorta thing together and I think mi doing ok. First off, im sure most of my stuff is compatible with each other, but i may be wrong so if you see something out of place, or could recommend a better version please let me know. Anyway, my main problem is that i have got this far and im now stuck at choosing a video card. Im a bit confused so i need help choosing one for my computer to be. Here it goes:
CPU:
Model
Brand Intel
Processors Type Desktop
Series Core 2 Duo
Model BX80570E8500
CPU Socket Type
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
Tech Spec
Core Wolfdale
Multi-Core Dual-Core
Name Core 2 Duo E8500
Operating Frequency 3.16GHz
FSB 1333MHz
L2 Cache 6MB
Manufacturing Tech 45 nm
64 bit Support Yes
Hyper-Threading Support No
Virtualization Technology Support Yes
Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4, EM64T
Voltage 0.85V – 1.3625V
Thermal Power 65W
Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan included(intend on replacing the stock version, any suggestions?)

RAM:
Model
Brand OCZ
Series SLI-Ready Edition
Model OCZ2N800SR4GK
Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency 5
Timing 5-4-4-15
Voltage 2.1V
Heat Spreader Yes
Features Nvidia XTC Heatspreader
2.2V EVP

Motherboard:
Model
Brand ECS
Model NF650iSLIT-A (V1.0)
Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
CPU Type Quad-core / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium
FSB 1333Mhz (OC)
Supported CPU Technologies Hyper-Threading Technology
Chipsets
North Bridge NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI
South Bridge NVIDIA MCP51
Memory
Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin
Memory Standard DDR2 800
Maximum Memory Supported 8GB
Dual Channel Supported Yes
Expansion Slots
PCI Express x16 2 x PCI Express x16 slot (SLI mode: x8+x8, single PCI-E is x8 mode)
PCI Express x1 2
PCI Slots 3
Storage Devices
PATA 2 x ATA100 4 Dev. Max
SATA 3Gb/s 4
SATA RAID NV RAID 0/1/0+1/5 JBOD
Onboard Video
Onboard Video Chipset None
Onboard Audio
Audio Chipset Realtek ALC883
Audio Channels 8 Channels
Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset Marvell 88E1116
Max LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps
Rear Panel Ports
PS/2 2
COM 1
USB 4 x USB 2.0
S/PDIF Out 1x Optical, 1x Coaxial
Audio Ports 6 Ports
Onboard USB
Onboard USB 2 x USB 2.0 connectors support 4 ports
Physical Spec
Form Factor ATX
Dimensions 12.0" x 9.6"
Windows Vista Certified for Windows Vista
Features
Power Pin 24 Pin
Packaging
Package Contents NF650iSLIT-A (V1.0)
Driver Disk
User Manual
Rear I/O Panel Shield
IDE/PATA Cable
SATA Cable
SLI Bridge
SLI Retention Bracket

HDD:
Model
Brand Western Digital
Series Caviar GP
Model WD7500AACS
Performance
Interface SATA 3.0Gb/s
Capacity 750GB
RPM 5400 to 7200 RPM
Cache 16MB
Average Seek Time 8.9ms
Average Latency 5.6ms
Physical Spec
Form Factor 3.5"
Features
Features IntelliPower - A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and cache size designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance.
IntelliSeek - Calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption, noise and vibration.
IntelliPark - Delivers lower power consumption by automatically unloading the heads during idle to reduce aerodynamic drag.
Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) - Employ PMR technology to achieve even greater areal density.
StableTrac - The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking, during read and write operations.

So, there you have it. This is all ive managed to get as of this minute, then again i did only start today so, can someone help me with more choices and/or change any problems with my current choices. Also, on a final note does anyone know of some good quality case manufacturers. The reviews ive read say some of the better looking ones are brittle or flimsy materials. Any help is much appreciated and sorry for all the data, i copied and pasted it from newegg.com

Thanks in advance incase I have to go.

Yep, they're all compatible but I have a question, are you actually going to use SLi? there are better chipsets than the 650i if you're not going to use SLi.

Which video card did you have in mind?

as i said im really new to everything here and i am still in the process of reading a book on how to do it all so that could explain my lack of video card knowledge. Im unsure of the difference between SLi and others, and if you could suggest a better motherboard then id gladly change it. I want a video card that will be able to play most of the newer games coming out, my aim is an average gamers computer and my bugget is probs around the £500-600 mark, which is about $1000-1200. So the more advanced I can get for this price the better. Im willing to spend alot more on the more important aspects like CPU, RAM, MoBo and Video card, but i think I might need a better sound card. I am asking your advice on a good one. Thanks by the way

OK, quick crash course.

SLi - two or more nvidia design linked video cards running together via SLi technology (Scalable Link Interface)

Crossfire - the ATi response to SLi that utilises ATi based cards linked together.

Given your budget I doubt you're looking at running multiple video cards.

Chipsets - 650i, 680i, 780i & 790i are all nvidia based chipsets used to run SLi configurations. Can be used to run single cards of either design.

P35, P45, X38 & X48 - some (if not most) support Crossfire on an Intel chipset to run ATi designed cards. Can be used to run single cards of either design.

P45 and X48 are going to be out of your budget range I'd hazard so you need to look into P35 or X38 imo, even these may be too pricey.

An E8500 is a nice chip but it might pay to look at the price difference between it and an E8400, with a small overclock you can lift the 8400 to the 8500 speed for less capital outlay, something to consider.

Video cards are always a point of contention, most of the last gen nvidia cards (8800 series) were good solid cards, especially the 512MB GT models and with the imminent release of nvidias new line (9900 series) they are likely to be quite affordable.

On the other side of the coin is the ATi range which is in a similar situation with the imminent release of the 48xx series the 3870 range will surely drop in price.

I think some of the UK members would be better suited to assist you with pricing, I'm half a world away, lol, and really have no idea of competitively priced/reliable UK retailers

righto, i think ill take what you've said and re-do my list. Ill post it here for another look over when im done. Thanks for your help, and also UK prices are usually just half US prices. Thanks again, your great

yea, a monitor. If I knew how to overclock then i guess i would. Thanks for all you help.

super thank you for that, however with vista installed will it still play higher end games?

Back
Top Bottom