Blue screen of Death!

nwgbmx

Solid State Member
So this morning when i turned on my laptop, it was loading fine up to the windows XP screen where the little bar moves, it freezes for a second then continues again, then the blue screen quickly appears and the laptop automatically restarts. I try again several times, loading it Normally, last best configuration, and safe mode with no luck, then eventually out of randomness it loads windows and i get to my desktop. So i start to scan for viruses, and defgramenting(not sure if this was the right thing to do) but few minutes later BOOM blue screen yet again! What do i do? Thanks in advance for any help.

The error and stop code on the blue screen would help quite a bit, check your error logs as well, should show a system error in there from when it happened.

Ok go to control panel
go to system,
then click advanced
then click settings under startup and recovery
Uncheck Automatically restart

Now instead of getting a blue screen and your comp restarting you will just get an error message, when you see that message, write down the code

okay currently it is working, i ve backed up all my files. I m going to uncheck automatically restart, and restart the computer, hopefully the problem has randomly stopped. But if it does i will write the error code down. I ll keep it posted. Thanks

*sorry for the double post
after restarting again, i get this message
the problem seems to be caused by the following file: PartMgr.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
if this the first time you've seen.......
check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed
If problems continue, diable or remove any newly installed hardware or sfotware. disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

Technical Information
***STOP: 0X00000050 (0XF77914AB,0X00000008. 0XF77914AB,0X00000000)
*** PartMgr.sys-address F77914AB BASE AT f778f000, DateStamp 00000000

From Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/w2000Msgs/6093.mspx?mfr=true

This Stop message usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, either main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM). If hardware has been added to the system recently, remove it to see if the error recurs.

Download and run a program called memtest86+ to check your system memory, that would be a good first step.

You need to d/load the ISO file and burn it to cd then boot to it. make sure you get Memtest86+

so what i did was i downloaded Memtest86 v3.4a ISO image (zip).
extracted the file
then a file called memtest.iso was extracted.
i took memtest.iso and burnt it onto a CD, then i put that cd into my laptop
i opened up My computer and opened the cd to find memtest.iso, i double clicked on it, and it gave me the option to extract a BOOT file. Inside the boot life there are two other files called.
MEMTEST.IMG and BOOT.CAT
what am i doing wrong

you need to restart your computer with the cd in the drive, it boots from the cd into memtest. Make sure your cd drive is 1st in the boot order in your bios.

Back
Top Bottom