Is your Windows legal?

3 computers here, one main PC and 2 laptops.

XP Home on the main PC.
XP Professional on the older laptop.
Vista Home Premium on the newer laptop.

All legal.

Legal. Desktop uses a key that was given to me (on the side of a tower that was given to me), but I haven't used it for a different system. Notebook uses OEM that came with it when I bought it new

I consider mine legal- the company I worked for several years ago used to purchase COA's only- which I don't think is totally legal, but a COA of XP Pro only cost me $45 US, and it validates as genuine- so yeah, it's legal:)

Before I left, they stopped selling them like that- never asked why:eek:

I downloaded a 64-bit SP1 DVd, and used my Vista COA key from my Acer. I didn't like the bloatware that originally came with it. I used WAIK to do a deployment fun as well.

I downloaded a 64-bit SP1 DVd, and used my Vista COA key from my Acer. I didn't like the bloatware that originally came with it. I used WAIK to do a deployment fun as well.

That's what I've done with both of my laptops, used a 'real' Windows disc to install with the product keys that came with the laptops rather than having the original factory install or recovery options. Runs a lot better that way as long as you can get hold of all the drivers like I was able to for mine.

They're usually in a folder in the original factory install, or they can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website in most cases.

Plus, I was able to set up multiple partitions which was what I wanted, some laptops (like my 2 year old HP) come with one big 'C' drive. I use Ghost for all my backup needs.

Usually, what I should have done was a clean install and actually ghosted the partition when everything was well set up. Then, if I had to reformat, I'd just pop in the DVD sets and I'd be up in no time. I got to look into Blu-Ray storing technologies...

Back
Top Bottom