AMD CPU Heatsink Removal?

jashan17

In Runtime
I decided to hook my old compaq back together. I decided to apply some new thermal paste on the cpu but I cant get the heatsink off. I tried pushing a flat head screwdriver into the lever thing and pull it out but its not coming out. I even watched those videos on removing them but i still cant get it out.

any ideas?

opposite side

Ok.

With these Socket A type of fitting I find it easier to remove the fan so the tool goes in the slot in the heatsink. And the trick is to use a bent screwdriver.

Put the blade of the screwdriver in the slot, in the 1st picture, push down slightly and lever the handle of the screwdriver towards the CPU.

These come of in seconds.

:)

Ok.

With these Socket A type of fitting I find it easier to remove the fan so the tool goes in the slot in the heatsink. And the trick is to use a bent screwdriver.

Put the blade of the screwdriver in the slot, in the 1st picture, push down slightly and lever the handle of the screwdriver towards the CPU.

These come of in seconds.

:)

it doesnt seem to be coming off....

EDIT:
ok i got it off by slightly twisting it. i cleaned off the thermal paste but on the processor i dont know if theres a thermal pad on it. its kinda bronze colored and shiny, is all the thermal paste cleaned off? should i just apply a dot of paste on the processor and put the heatsink on(will spread it out evenly) ? its a socket 462.. the cpu is a weird color, like bluish bronze...
CONCLUSION: Just applied some AS5 and the temp dropped 10c! haha, apparently there was like no thermal paste on the processor, might have to do with having the comp for 6 years...>_< , installing xp on it right now...!

Back
Top Bottom