car engine swap question

Spartan109

Fully Optimized
i was wondering if it is possible to take a dodge car like a stratus for instance, which has around a 2-2.4L engine and swap it out with something like this:
http://www.autoguide.net/apf/dodge-car_engines/mop_360rlb_2.html
i no quite a bit about cars and if i wanted i have the people around to help me, but i was wondering if it would take really heavy modification or not to get it in, if it could even go in. like i said i no about but i don't no a whole lot, so please don't flip out and call me stupid :)

thanks

p.s its great to be back :)

Personally i would say no, not without a serious amount of custom fabrication.
But it would be a damn fun project haha.

usually very heavy modding and fab work needs to be done.

Assuming it fits in the first place, you'll likely need to fabricate new motor mounts, transmission mounts, probably use a whole different transmission altogether... If the car is FWD which I think it is, you need a rear wheel drive conversion which will consist of mainly (in addition to the transmission) a new driveshaft, rear differential, new suspension, possibly new axles, spindles, and brakes...

Then if that engine is fuel injected rather than carbureted, now you also need to get a PCM, rewire basically everything including your gauges, etc. etc.

I think you get the idea.

I dont think it would fit without a custom hood. Putting a small block in a stratus? It will fit in a small truck easy, but I dont a stratus... Why would you want to do that anyway? Go buy yourself a challenger, lol.

Well you can fit a 5.0 in a Focus so... it's a possibility? lol

It would be possible but it would be a hell of a lot of work. But if you had the time and the knowledge then I'm sure it would be a worth while project :)

5.0 is a 302, this is a 360, bigger motor. And it might be a long block, I dont really know. The ford 4.6 is a lot harder to fit then a 5.0, its actually a lot bigger. It's possible though. I would just get a car that already has a V8 or something worth the swap, or just turbo it.

If it's a second gen Stratus 4-door, just get SRT-4 internals and turbo. It won't work with a 2 door stratus.

usually very heavy modding and fab work needs to be done.

Assuming it fits in the first place, you'll likely need to fabricate new motor mounts, transmission mounts, probably use a whole different transmission altogether... If the car is FWD which I think it is, you need a rear wheel drive conversion which will consist of mainly (in addition to the transmission) a new driveshaft, rear differential, new suspension, possibly new axles, spindles, and brakes...

Then if that engine is fuel injected rather than carbureted, now you also need to get a PCM, rewire basically everything including your gauges, etc. etc.

I think you get the idea.

well i have the people around to help me, and the cars from the 90s (to the extent of my short knowledge) were fuel injected not carbourated, especially cars like the stratus, neon, civic etc.

I dont think it would fit without a custom hood. Putting a small block in a stratus? It will fit in a small truck easy, but I dont a stratus... Why would you want to do that anyway? Go buy yourself a challenger, lol.

if i had the money for a challenger i wouldn't be making this thread

just turbo it.

i cant find any where around here that will carry a turbo or supercharger for a stratus

i talked to my teacher and he said it would be more work than its worth and that you would probably have trouble getting parts for it, not to mention you have replace almost everything that connects to the engine itself (im guessing brake lines for instance). if i choose to just get the engine rebuilt will i see performance gains?

Back
Top Bottom