Ran out of Drive Letters

sonicbro11

Beta member
Hello,

I am new to this forum and registered primarily to see if anybody had a solution to a serious problem I have recently run into. My buisiness computer is for my work (I am a computer consultant) and it is very powerful. It has 8 gb of ram (maually remapped for XP PRO SP2), intel core 4 extreme, and 26 hard disks(mostly western digital velociraptors(10000 RPM, 16mb cache) and seagates). I have about 16 tb of imortant information in my computer. So much info you ask, I have 4 tb of disk images that I use for my clients machines, EX- laptop, desktop, tablet. Everything is specific. The problem is, I have run out of drive letters. Whenever I plug in a new disk, nothing happens. I have everything taken up. Can somebody please help me! Thanks much for everbody's time-

Richard

Holy crap...

I personally would buy a second computer incase something bad happens...I don't know if theres any way to increase the number of drive letters (C1: or different).

Hello,

I am new to this forum and registered primarily to see if anybody had a solution to a serious problem I have recently run into. My buisiness computer is for my work (I am a computer consultant) and it is very powerful. It has 8 gb of ram (maually remapped for XP PRO SP2), intel core 4 extreme, and 26 hard disks(mostly western digital velociraptors(10000 RPM, 16mb cache) and seagates). I have about 16 tb of imortant information in my computer. So much info you ask, I have 4 tb of disk images that I use for my clients machines, EX- laptop, desktop, tablet. Everything is specific. The problem is, I have run out of drive letters. Whenever I plug in a new disk, nothing happens. I have everything taken up. Can somebody please help me! Thanks much for everbody's time-

Richard

I would get that junk out of there and put it onto some kind of proper organised backup system. Who knows what could go boom and fry the whole lot, how do you back that stuff up anyway?

26HDDs? Jeeze, and I thought six in one PC was pushing it. Are they running in any form of RAID?

Hello,

Richard

Windows only supports 26 drive letters, however you can assign a drive as a folder (In disk management).

Having this amount of hard drives is a situation for a disaster, moreso if the data isn't backed up.

Back
Top Bottom