Linux+ vs. RHCE

Corey1

Baseband Member
As you can see by my signature, plan on attempting the Linux+ certification sometime in the future. In doing some research, I found that Linux+ is less recognized among IT professionals as Red Hat's RHCE certification. While I acknowledge the fact that Red Hat is the predominant Linux server OS, I like that Linux+ is vendor neutral. It's possible that I could be hired by a company running SUSE or even Ubuntu. Another interesting fact, is that when I search for jobs on Career Builder or Monster, any company stating that they run some version of Linux on there servers do not mention either cert. as a requirement for the job. So, I was curious as to what everyone thinks. Are these certifications pointless or is one better than the other?

Linux+ is a fairly basic certification that covers the basics of operating and maintaining any linux OS. RHCE is a very very in depth certification that covers almost every aspect of Redhat servers.

They are two very different exams, but if you were able to pass the RHCE, Linux+ would be no problem at all.

Linux+ is a fairly basic certification that covers the basics of operating and maintaining any linux OS. RHCE is a very very in depth certification that covers almost every aspect of Redhat servers.

They are two very different exams, but if you were able to pass the RHCE, Linux+ would be no problem at all.

So, there's really no point for an aspiring Systems Administrator to attempt the Linux+ certification. I mean, if there isn't any coverage in regards to server administration, it would be pretty much useless in a business environment. Right?

silent1mezzo said:
Where do you take certifications like these? And how do you study for them?

You have to register for these exams online. For the CompTIA exams (A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+) you can register through Pearson VUE. You'll take the exam at a physical location that's local to you. For example, I took the A+ exam at my college's library and have my Network+ exam scheduled at the same location. For the Microsoft certifications (MCSA, MCSE, MCITP), you can schedule through Prometric and you'll also take this one at a physical location near you. There are also Cisco certifications if you want to work in networking.

Most of the certifications are really good but, unless you're planning on working in the IT field there's really no point in taking the exam. They are expensive. The CompTIA exams are $232 each. That said, having an A+ and Network+ book in your library isn't a bad idea. You'll learn a lot and have an excellent reference guide. You can find numerous books for both certifications on Amazon and most are worth the buy.

wmorri said:
For the A+, Network+, Linux+ certifications you can go to http://certification.comptia.org/default.aspx . If you want to find out about RHCE you can go here.

If you are looking for other distro neutral Linux Certs then you might want to check out LPI.

Cheers!

It seems like you have to take way more exams for LPI in order to achieve an equivalent level of certification from Red Hat which only requires one. Other than that, LPI looks good and is exactly what I'm looking for.

So, there's really no point for an aspiring Systems Administrator to attempt the Linux+ certification. I mean, if there isn't any coverage in regards to server administration, it would be pretty much useless in a business environment. Right?

Their's alot that apply s to servers from what I know. It isn't useless by any means, every little thing is a slight advantage.

Their's alot that apply s to servers from what I know. It isn't useless by any means, every little thing is a slight advantage.

Interesting. Well, maybe I'll give it a shot after all. My plan is to achieve the MCITP certification before I graduate since Microsoft has 70% of the server market. I was planning on working towards Linux+ after graduation. So, maybe a good plan would be to work towards Linux+ first and then RHCE after.

Interesting. Well, maybe I'll give it a shot after all. My plan is to achieve the MCITP certification before I graduate since Microsoft has 70% of the server market. I was planning on working towards Linux+ after graduation. So, maybe a good plan would be to work towards Linux+ first and then RHCE after.

How old are you now and what grade are you in? The Linux+ certification is fairly basic. You should start working towards these now, start using Linux based OS's and play around with them.

How old are you now and what grade are you in? The Linux+ certification is fairly basic. You should start working towards these now, start using Linux based OS's and play around with them.

I'm 25 and have completed two semesters in college. I'll be receiving an Associates Degree in Computer Maintenance and Service Technology. I'm already A+ certified and have my Network+ exam scheduled for the 30th of this month.

As far as Linux goes, I've been playing around with Ubuntu for about a year now. I find the administration to be just as easy as Windows (even when working in the terminal). The only place I get stuck is installing software I've downloaded. The terminal syntax confuses me.

Anyway, with working full-time and attending college, I've decided to focus on what I consider the "core certifications" (A+, Network+, MCITP, Security+). Anything additional (i.e. Linux+) I was going to work towards after I had secured a job in the IT field. Do you think this is a good strategy?

Corey, I think that having your A+ and getting Network+ is a great start and gives you the proof that you have choosen I.T. as your field of work. That being said, As you can see from my Signature I am already a Systems Administrator. Although my technical title at work is Systems Engineer as well as a SharePoint Administrator. Let me start off by saying that I have no college what so ever. I am only 21 years of age too. I got into this line of work as soon as I could get a Bench Technician Job at Circuit City back when I was only 18 years old and before that I was doing it as a project side job in my teen years. All the jobs since Circuit City I have held didn't even care if had a College Degree or was attending. The main thing they wanted to see was proven experience in my field and that I know what I am doing. Don't get my wrong I am not bashing a College Degree at all cause in the long run if you want to make it to a High Level IT Director or CIO it will definitely make that happen easier. I am saying however that it would be wise if your not already working at a I.T. related job then you'll want to change that. So that you start building that industry experience, even if it's only a bench tech job with the Geek Squad it doesn't matter it gives you the job history. When I was interviewed for this job I have now it came down between a 23 year old fresh out of college with a 4 year technical Degree and me with 4 years experience in the field and the CIO choose me over the other person. The I.T. field has shifted a lot now days toward doing that. Atleast where I live Jacksonville, Florida.

Back
Top Bottom