Big Problem, or Little Problem? Computer not starting up...

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, my uncle called me yesterday telling me that his Gateway (w/ amd 3800 I want to say it is) was just sitting at the BIOS flash screen and not starting up. I went down there and sure enough it just sits there. So, I reset the CMOS with the jumper, then went in to bios and put the HDD as first boot again, and then booted it up. This time it worked just fine. So I told him to let me know if it happened again, and sure enough it did. He said he shut down the computer (for an extended period of time, overnight) and when he went to turn it on this morning, it halts at the BIOS screen again, and nothing loads like before. Does any one know what's causing this, as obviously the hard drive is fine....I honestly haven't a clue....

Thanks
Zac

k so the second time it happened did u do the same thing as before (reset the CMOS)?? if so and it keeps doing it then it sounds like that battery needs to be replaced. how old is the computer??

See the first thing I thought of was the battery as well...but doesn't having it plugged into the wall keep the mobo powered? Because I know that when mine is plugged in, the led on my mobo stays lit....

It's probably 2 or 3 years old I'm guessing....but it only happens when it's shut down for an EXTENDED period of time..like over night...so maybe it is the CMOS bat.....I'll swap it with one that I have from an old computer and see what's up and let everyone know...

Back
Top Bottom