Internet Out

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
There are 4 computers in my house. They have ethernet cables that plug into the wall, and run into the basement to a router where the router hooks up to a motorola cable modem.

Only one computer can get an internet connection. The other computers report that a network connection is unplugged. I checked all the wires from the computer(s) to the wall(s) and the cables down to the basement feeding into and out of the router.

The only computer currently getting internet is running Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04. 2 Computers are running Windows XP and not getting an internet connection, and one computer is running Windows 98 and is not getting an internet connection.

I tried using an Ubuntu Live CD on the non-functioning computers to see if the OS might be causing the problem somehow, but none of the other computers could get an internet connection from the Ubuntu Live CD.

I figure its not the router itself cause one computer is still getting a connection. So I figure its impossible for the problem to be the router or the modem. Any ideas?

Did you change or do anything to the computer(s) recently, or did it just stop working all of a sudden? Any recent power outages?...

Your router was probably reset. That's my guess but I'm no network expert. You should find the router's IP address (to access settings) and go in and check to see if your settings are still intact...but my guess is that they are not. Atleast we can fairly confidently say that your problem is fixable since it was most likely due to that power failure...

What is your Router Make/Model?

Linksys wired Router model BEFSRU31. I think whats happening is one computer is getting the direct connection from the modem. I do not know how to reset the settings at the router admin page which I access by typing 192.168.1.1 in my browser.

Yes, it sounds like only one is getting the direct connect and it doesn't want to share. I have a wireless linksys which I'm sure is about the same thing (since I only use it for wired right now) but I'm at work. If no one else has helped by the time I get home, I'll make sure to look at my settings and report back for you. In the meantime...check the linksys user guide for your router. Hopefully that link works...if not just go to the linksys site and go to support -> technical support -> select a product -> wired routers -> select your model and then go from there. Hopefully that helps!!

Zac

wow the same exact thing happened to me, NO JOKE my living room computer doesnt work at all, it just went out randomly not sure about power outage but it coulda happened a while ago, i tryed to reset the router by unplugging it the plugging it back in and changing the slot where the internets coming form but it doesnt seem to want to work, but i have a netgear, SRY if you think im hijacking, just dident wanna make a new topic when theres one already on the subject =D

Yup and see since the power outage reset your router, you really don't want to reset your router per se, you want to re-set your settings...if that makes sense ;-)...you'll have to use the manual for that cause I'm no good with setting up my OWN router hehehe...someone else can probably help you both though.

okay so set up my router, yeah i think i can do it ive done it before not gonna be that hard, it doesnt make sense though how it wont work threw the wire besides only 1 haha

Yeah, well I'm guessing that it has a default, ya know, cuz otherwise when you first hook it up NO computer would work ;-) then ya'd really be screwed cuz you wouldn't be able to set it up!!!

Back
Top Bottom