Thinking About Building A Laptop 17" Too Impractical?

15.4" is practical
17" is not

you just need to decide where the laptop will be used and for what lengths of time. im considering a 17" one for uni as i want a powerful desktop replacement.

Correction:
12" is practical
15.4" is mediocre
17" is not at all practical

I have a 15.4" laptop that is a pain to carry around at 6 pounds and I don't carry it around often. I can only imagine a 17" is absolutely impractical in every way possible to carry it around daily... If you need portability, you also need a smaller system...

yes i say if your going to be taking it to school etc everyday maximum saize would be 15.4

j_v_z;8***** said:
naw, i can save money by not buying the OS, and get exactly what i want, also i have a q6600 in my desktop, i need somthing that will be compareable in a laptop

17" is waaay too big and waaay too heavy. Also a q6600 puts out too much heat to be in a laptop, their is a quad core being released for laptops but it costs too much to fit into your budget.

Believe me, I've been here before...asking the exact same questions. It's not cheaper to build your own...just check around on Newegg.com and see what you can find. Even if you find something with min. ram, it's cheaper to upgrade yourself. I find that Asus tends to have the best build quality and price/performance ration, but that's just in my experience...there are many good brands...but I find Dell to be the worst, again, in my experience with them. You can buy a great laptop for a grand...

EDIT: As for monitor size, as others have said, 17" is overkill unless you are using it as a desktop replacement....17s usually eat batteries quite fast...15.4" is the way to go.

Correction:
12" is practical
15.4" is mediocre
17" is not at all practical

I have a 15.4" laptop that is a pain to carry around at 6 pounds and I don't carry it around often. I can only imagine a 17" is absolutely impractical in every way possible to carry it around daily... If you need portability, you also need a smaller system...

There's hardly any 12 inch notebooks on the market right now for consumers. 13 inches is considered the mainstream for portability.

Back
Top Bottom