What is lapping?

It's when you use sandpaper to make the CPU heatspreader/heatsink base flatter and shinier for more surface contact for the CPU heatspreader and heatsink. It's common to see grits from 400-2000.

Lapping means you'r just making a surface very, very flat - using sandpaper/gritt paper on something very smooth such as glass and possibly a paste or oil inbetween to carry away the small amount of metal being taken off - and if you do this to the top of a CPU and the bottom of a heatsink until their both very (or reasonably) flat - increasing the amount of area that is in contadct for heat to move from the CPU to the heatsink. You wont loose 10*c or anything, but it could help take it down a few degrees :)

You wont loose 10*c or anything, but it could help take it down a few degrees :)
I would have said that would be close to the average temperature drop tbh

The linked article above is very old and basic, there are better tutorials on the net.

Google Lapping Tutorial, there are plenty out there.

Does it have an noticeable benefits,Temperature wise?

Yes! The IHS of my Q6600 was slightly concave and the copper heatpipes on the base of my cooler were not quite level with the rest of the base. I gained about 5c on my load temps.

But it mostly depends on how flat your CPU's IHS and your HSF's base already is. But even if it is flat, you can still remove the nickel plating so that you can get direct contact with the copper which dissapates heat much better.

And if you're up to it, wet lapping your CPU will give a better finish. I plan on wet lapping my E8400.

just in case you dont realize before you start lapping it it does void your warranty so if you break it whilst lapping or it breaks after it has been lapped you have no warranty claim so just make sure its worth it before you do it

Back
Top Bottom