Why does my router not work?

superman22x

Golden Master
I got a new router, vista compatable one now too. I installed the software that came with it, and plugged it all in, but the other computer cannot connect to the internet through it. It can connect to the router but not the internet. My internet comes in through a usb port on my computer, not the ethernet port. From there, I have it set to internet connection sharing, and plug my router into my ethernet port.

Any ideas why my other computer cannot get an internet connection? And niether can my psp.

This is how my internet comes in btw.
sprint_u720_usb_modem.jpg

Re install the Sprint software then try it again. USB modems can sometimes interfear with other USB connection devices.

I have the same problem with my USB Wifi for my PS3 sometimes. I just reinstall the Verizon in your case sprint manager and it seems to work. You should have just bought a 3G Evdo router to be honest. Just plug them in and they automatically connect and share your Evdo connection.

BTW watch out July 13th is the date your cap goes into effect. .003 cents per kilobyte afterward. If you don't have an account setup there you should get one and put your 2 cents in since sprint monitors there forum.

http://www.evdoforums.com/thread9389.html
http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2343/64/

Yeah, I am pissed about that cap thing. No more downloading I guess... I will reinstall it tommorrow and see if it helps.

Yup, I have an account there, remember, I was the one that told you about it, lol.

Yeah, I am pissed about that cap thing. No more downloading I guess... I will reinstall it tommorrow and see if it helps.

Yup, I have an account there, remember, I was the one that told you about it, lol.

Is your SN there the same as well because I don't recall ever seeing this on post there.

There forum is wicked to start not allowing any links or pictures. Glad I stuck around though its amazing what you can learn just sifting through there pages.

I got a new router, vista compatable one now too. I installed the software that came with it, and plugged it all in, but the other computer cannot connect to the internet through it. It can connect to the router but not the internet. My internet comes in through a usb port on my computer, not the ethernet port. From there, I have it set to internet connection sharing, and plug my router into my ethernet port.

Any ideas why my other computer cannot get an internet connection? And niether can my psp.

This is how my internet comes in btw.
sprint_u720_usb_modem.jpg

Your going about everything wrong. The routers purpose is to share the internet connection, not have your laptop do it. What you need in this situation is a switch, routers can act as a plain switch, but this over-complicates everything. Their's a thousand things that can go wrong the way your setting stuff up. If it's not too late, return the router and get a simple 5 port switch.

Your going about everything wrong. The routers purpose is to share the internet connection, not have your laptop do it. What you need in this situation is a switch, routers can act as a plain switch, but this over-complicates everything. Their's a thousand things that can go wrong the way your setting stuff up. If it's not too late, return the router and get a simple 5 port switch.

I don't think you understand whats going on Chris. How is he supposed to hook his USB modem up to a 5 port switch?

He is better off to get a cradlepoint evdo router so he does not need to have one computer running to share the connection. They very by card though so without knowing which modem he is using I can't recommend any.

I do understand what you were trying to say though chris but the fact is with are type of setup you need to have a computer running and connected to share the connection unless you get a Evdo router.

Here is a example Evdo router.

http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=673

Well, here is what I did. I uninstalled the connection manager. Didnt do anything though, I could still get online, because it was just set up as a netowork adapter. Then I installed the sprint smartview connection manager. Now I can not get online at all with that computer... I am on the other computer now. It can connect, the computer says it is connected to the internet, but if I try and load a webpage, it just says page cannot be displayed right away, and yahoo or live messanger cannot connect either. So now, I am going to download a different connection manager, that maybe will actually work....

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;801188 said:
I don't think you understand whats going on Chris. How is he supposed to hook his USB modem up to a 5 port switch?

His USB modem is hooked up to his laptop, his laptop ethernet port is the LAN side of windows Internet Connection Sharing (therefor having the laptop doing routing).

An EVDO router is a much better idea, but costs much more.

I think I am going to have to convince my parents to buy an EVDO router. Seems like the easiest thing to do.

I am running system restore on my computer now, hopefully I can get it working again online soon, cause I dont like using this POS, lol.

Two questions, if I do get a mobile broadband router, and connect to it through ethernet with my computer, will I get any extra lag for online gaming vs having it plugged directly into my computer?

Also, if I were to run wireless from this computer to my own computer, would I get extra lag?

His USB modem is hooked up to his laptop, his laptop ethernet port is the LAN side of windows Internet Connection Sharing (therefor having the laptop doing routing).

An EVDO router is a much better idea, but costs much more.

Okay but I'm not understanding how he would set it up for his labtop not to do the sharing when he has to connect it through the labtop.

Off topic but along similar lines. I said earlier I have that wifi key for mine setup. The only problem is there is no Vista driver for it and when I want to play my ps3 that means I need to reboot into XP.

How would I go about running a ethernet connection from my computer to the PS3 to share the connection on my Evdo card?

Sorry I don't mean to Hi Jack your thread superman but its pretty much on the same lines and were talking the same type of connections.

@ Superman I'd really ask for input over at there forums to be honest. They should be able to get you setup with the right router. I saw one of your posts there but I have no idea but have heard of others having the same issue's you describe. My ID over there is Widgetman101. Also if your motherboard has wireless you should just be able to connect wirelessly without needing to run a Ethernet cable if you wanted. Wish I could provide more input there but I have not shelled out the money for mine yet either ;)

Back
Top Bottom