Burning Smell + Possible Slowing

Not really sure on this, but a MOSFET by the CPU on the mobo couldn't have melted/shorted out producing the burning smell and thus slowing the mobo, could it?

It could have been a part of your motherboard. I suggest you turn off the computer, take out every removable card and I want you to literally SMELL different areas of your computer. If your PSU wasn't the source of the smell, something is obviously up.

And I just reread your post. So are you sure the PSU was the source of the burning smell? Anything could have been damaged really.

Alright, thanks for the advice guys.

Ghost - No, I am not positive WHERE the smell came from, but I know the smell came out of my PSU fan, 100%. Now, do you still want me to smell the different areas of my comp?

The slowness SEEMS to be fixed right now, I can play on high graphics, etc. But then again, I haven't had the computer on and playing all day like usually or so. Regardless, the burning smell is still a worry to me, whether the slowness is fixed or not.

Alright, thanks for the advice guys.

Ghost - No, I am not positive WHERE the smell came from, but I know the smell came out of my PSU fan, 100%. Now, do you still want me to smell the different areas of my comp?

The slowness SEEMS to be fixed right now, I can play on high graphics, etc. But then again, I haven't had the computer on and playing all day like usually or so. Regardless, the burning smell is still a worry to me, whether the slowness is fixed or not.

Ah, okay. Now I understand what you're trying to say. The smell was coming out of the back of the fan grill area, but it could have been from anywhere inside your tower.

1. Do you still have your old power supply? If so, take it out and smell it in different areas. It is usually obvious if a part has partially burned because the stench will be RIGHT there.

2. I still recommend smelling different parts of your computer for the hell of it. If something on the motherboard had burned, chances are it will still smell.

If the performance issue is somewhat going away, I recommend keeping an eye on your computer and posting back here in a few days again. Check some computer temperatures with a program called RealTemp (if your chip is supported) or let us know how a few hours of intense gaming goes.

This could all be coincidence or it could all be related; the only way to find out would be to pinpoint the origin of the smell, as well as to keep an eye on the performance of your computer. Try *hard* to remember if your computer started to act up after the smell.

Chris

Pop open the chassis and start playing on the computer. If anything starts burning in the computer, you'll be able to see what it is. Until you can find out exactly what's burning or whatever, you really can't do anything about it.

Yeah, I still have the old power supply. It's not in my computer though. When I first took it out, yeah it did smell a little bit like that smell, but according to other people, no way near how it should smell if it had died, it should have been 100% noticeable from the power supply I've heard.

I'll be using Realtemp all day today, and gaming also. Also, I'm trying to remember if my computer was being slow before or after it, I know for sure I NOTICED it right around a time after the smell, but not sure when it really did start acting up.

Back
Top Bottom