DNS problem with Vista

John's.AMD

Baseband Member
I tried helping out a friend by hooking up a wireless Netgear router for them...
They have a desktop and a laptop, both running Vista.

Went through the process of setting up the router, got it 'working' fine... The laptop running Vista can see the wireless access point and connect to it fine, and so can my laptop running XP Pro. However, out of all 3 of the computers, none of them can connect to the internet....

I ran the diagnosis 'thing' with Vista on the desktop and it said there was a DNS Server Address error. I talked to their ISP and got the DNS address from them, put that in on all the machines and still nothing. Vista said it tried pinging the DNS server but did not get a response.

I'm so frustrated with this its not even funny.... WTF am I doing wrong? :confused:

isnt the dns server usually the same as the default gateway?
i dunno whats wrong, as dhcp should give out all the correct addresses. why not just reset the router and set it up again?

default gateway on most routers default is 192.168.x.1. I've seen x be mainly 0 or 1 depending on brand. The DNS servers will be the ones you got from your ISP. You evidently are not connected to the ISP's network. Go into your router config and check that you have obtained an IP address from your ISP as well.

You shouldn't have to input the dns servers into all the machines. I am guessing that your friend has a dynamic ip which means that their isp changes their ip address. Therefore all you should have to do it connect the router, and make sure that the DHCP server is enabled and then you should be able to get an ip. The router should pick up the dns server addresses automatically.

Try doing an ipconfig in command, and see what you come up with. Post it on here if you are confused about what it says.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom