Stupid HP Laptop always gets really hot and fan wont shut up

karling07

Daemon Poster
Hey everyone, I have a DV9000t with the following specs:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate x64
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.2C, 4/22/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.01 GB
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600
Adapter RAM 512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)

So basically no matter where I have it or anything it's always just really really hot. Even on a flat desk. But I've used my friends' dells before and put them right on my lap and I don't feel any warmth at all (and I know you're not supposed to put them on your lap anyways, but if i put mine on my lap it seriously gets unbearably hot and the fan gets SO loud)

I rarely do anything that should be taxing for the computer - the most i do is some programming in VB.net 2008 and play GTA - and this is VERY rare. Almost all of the time i'm just surfing the web or talking to people on AIM or on forums.

I contacted HP support about this and they really weren't too helpful; had me flash to the most recent BIOS and then make sure power management was installed right. didn't seem to do much

Unless the computer is OFF or asleep, the bottom is always really really warm and the place where i put my wrists as i type is like a little heating pad too...

Aha... as I'm typing on my flat desk with my display at minimum brightness, the fan just got REALLY loud for no reason!!! WTF?? This is so frustrating I paid a lot of money for this thing!

Please help

My Compaq does it too, and HP support said the normal temp the bottom should be is 65-80 degrees F. If its higher thenn that u probaly have a faulty cooling system.

Thanks! I actually just ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FFIJRQ

with 1 day shipping, not realizing it said "takes 1-2 months to ship"... ugh

it's just kind of frustrating because at work my boss got us all Dell Latitudes with really good specs (core 2 duos, 2GB RAM, etc) and the thing runs SO quietly and it's never even warm...

That cooling fan you ordered looks very nice, 3 fans too! lol.

I don't think that you can really do anything until that fan arrives, however if you could find something to prop up your laptop so the bottom of it is not in direct contact with any surface I think that if would cool it down a lot if you allowed the air to circulate.

alright thanks everyone - i think im just gonna do a reformat and hope this helps; this time ill leave in all of the HP preinstalled crap, maybe it helps

Back
Top Bottom