i think i killed my comp!!

Gamingfreak

Fully Optimized
I put in a watercooling kit in a few days ago and it worked great but wherever i needed heatsinks i used those small ones that you stick on your gpu on my motherboard as well. So today i was playing WoW i heard one fall off and then my comp shut down so i immediately turned it off. I looked inside and saw one lying on top of my graphics card so the first thing i thought was i fried my graphics card which i wasn't to worried about since i had a spare.

I pulled my spare gpu out and plugged it in but my comp still wont start and im out of ideas, does anyone know what i can do?

It's definitely not a leak i checked for that as well, it was the heatsink falling off the motherboard and landing on the gpu shorting it out. There doesn't appear to be any burns though and I've tried resetting the cmos. When i plug it in the power on the motherboard comes on but when i try to switch the comp on it powers on for less then a sec then it goes back to being dead.

k so i think ur prolly talking about a RAM sink. its all metal right? then yeah u might have shorted it. um take everything out (except GFX) (RAM, HD'S etc, just disconnect) and see if u can get a post. and theres no beeps at all?

or are u saying u can post but it turns itself off?

Ya it was a RAM sink sorry if i wasn't clear, i haven't tried taking anything out yet so I'll go give that a try and get back to you.

OK i tried taking everything out (including the cpu right?) and the same thing happens where it comes on for half a second then its dead again. As for the cmos battery i took it out for at least 10 secs.

k well yeah supposed to keep that in but w/e

um leave the CMOS battery out while you sleep (or like two hours)

i dont think u fried anything. it was only on ur GFX but its all connected so im not sure. umm how old is it and whered u get it from?

Nothing in the comp is very old and i bought it all from a local comp shop brand new. I tried my spare gpu with everything out and the same thing happened so im beginning to think its the motherboard. Will taking the cmos battery out over night help u think?

in some cases yes. and its sorta a last resort. and before u think about returning it or DOAing it or w/e
just wait till tomorrow when more members get on. A True Folder will be able to help more

Back
Top Bottom