bye bye xp

I think Vista is pretty nice overall, as long as you have system that can handle it. I've tried Vista by a "free" copy I obtained :rolleyes: and can say that it was definitely glitchy with some programs I used.

Here's my reasoning behind not upgrading to Vista:

1. COST- I'm not made of money, I get like $100 a week on average at work, and ~$35-$40 of that goes to gas... Plus I'm saving money for a newer car, if I go out and spend a bunch of money on an OS, I'm down more money I have to save up again...

2. GLITCHYNESS- The version I tried didn't work with UltraMon (multi monitor program) correctly. UltraMon extends the taskbar to other monitors, well, it did that fine, but when I went to change the theme, only the main taskbar changed, the extended ones were still default. Also, it messed up the arrangement of the 3 monitor desktop I had. FOr other programs, I couldn't ever get Firefox to open up in the center monitor, it always opened in the right one. XP works where you can open a window and drag it to a different monitor and close it there and it will open again in the monitor it was closed in...didn't work w/ Vista. Overall, it just isn't very multi-monitor capable, and for me to really like it, it needs to be.

3. XP works find for my needs, so I really don't need Vista atm. In time I will upgrade, or just go with XP until the new OS comes out so I'm not shelling out money for an OS that will be outdated in not long... But I'm definitely not spending that kinda money on something I don't need.

Yeah those are valid points. The main problem I have is the people who talk shit about Vista because they only tried it for a few minutes and immediately judged it based on their experiences. If XP works for you and you want to keep using it, then use it. No one is forcing you to upgrade to Vista just yet. But don't be afraid of Vista like it's the bubonic plague...it's really not as bad as all those crap-talkers give it out to be.

I use both extensively day in and day out and I prefer Vista.

XP just feels cheap, nasty and outdated these days. If you actually have a decent PC then Vista way way outperforms XP; my laptop in my sig boots and shuts down Vista really quick, my friend's laptop with the same specs takes longer to start XP. I reformatted it at the weekend, mind you, because it needed it but even when it was loaded with a year's worth of total crap it still ran better than XP.

UAC is annoying, but at least it's trying to help you instead of your average clueless PC World customer running XP Home with an admin account, letting any old Trojan or spyware run with full privileges. UAC has saved my bacon before, I was just sitting on the desktop one day and boom, it pops up asking me if I want to give permission to an exe I'd never heard of before. Try doing that on XP.

The basic truth about Vista is, as good as it really is, there's a stigma surrounding it and it gets given a bad name for no good reason. Consequently, people don't want to upgrade. Windows 7 is being introduced because Steve Ballmer feels the same way, Vista was just Bill Gates' last bit of fun before leaving MS.

Yeah those are valid points. The main problem I have is the people who talk shit about Vista because they only tried it for a few minutes and immediately judged it based on their experiences. If XP works for you and you want to keep using it, then use it. No one is forcing you to upgrade to Vista just yet. But don't be afraid of Vista like it's the bubonic plague...it's really not as bad as all those crap-talkers give it out to be.

I've played around with it for a few hours and that's what I got out of it. It was a pre-SP1 relase though, so maybe something was improved since... When (and if) my brother gets money saved up to build a new system, I will get him to get Vista. He's a gamer and can use the DX10 support. All the games I play are still DX9, plus the card I have is DX9 anyway.

The thing I've found fun to play with is the voice recognition thing, though I couldn't see anyone using it seriously since it's still pretty glitchy. I like Aero, the added effects make it look cool, and it runs smooth on my system. It's just not something I need. The Start menu would take some getting used to... I always end up pressing sleep instead of shut down...

Screen shot of what I'm talking about. Notice the different colors on the taksbar, and the desktop is like split up and moved around...

interesting thread. i started off liking vista (when it came out), then hated it (after i used it for a bit and got to know it), then liked it (after the cooling off period i realised it wasnt that crap), then hated it (when i used it again and lots of problems occured, mainly due to the lack of sp1).
overall id say vista is the next step and should be taken. well, if you have good hardware that is. my biggest problems were from slowdowns and programs being stupid from the lack of ram. when nothing was open it did run like a dream. my mixed opinions are only because ive had the chance to use it and explore the good and the bad things. with the release of sp1 and the fact i need a new laptop ill quite willingly give vista another go as overall it is a good os

when 98 came out, a ton of people hated it, and called 95 the better os, When 2000 came out, they called 98 the best, when XP came out, they called 2000 the best, and now with vista, xp is called the best.

Yep, people are extremely afraid of change!

I wonder how long MS will continue to active xp for

It took 98 11 years before they did away with the support... 2000 is still supported, so I'd think it would be longer than 2011...

Back
Top Bottom