Cpu Usage

Prodigy146

Fully Optimized
i just put vista on and its not my hard drive at all. My cpu usage is jumping up to 50% randomly when i do anything on my desktop and i cant even get to the menu of any game. i cant even load up steam.

What i'm guessing is its my stock fan. i keep my rig on 24/7 (gotta help people upload :) ) and i have never actually heard my intel stock fan speed up..

i really need help with this

yeah i had xp pro 64bit on and the whole thing was just screwed up so i thought maybe i was on a bad boot sector so i decided to reformat and go to vista but when i was in vista it did the same thing (using internet explorer computer stutters, cant load any game, randomly restarts) then i noticed in task manger that my cpu usage is jumping up randomly.

I've also been using my integrated graphics alot (i can run farcry 1024x768 on low at 30 fps) could i have maybe stressed my motherboard?

i've been on google for hours trying to figure this out

It could be thermal throttling which means slowing the system right down to prevent overheating which P4s are known for. Download Coretemp and check your CPU temps.

well that program ruled out overheating my temps are fine. computer just restarted right when i got the temps, i cant run any program except internet explorer which barely runs.

what should i do?

you could always try and re-install xp pro again to see if it is Vista which is causing this to happen on you computer.

I would suggest opening the case and checking for dust build up in the heatsinks/fans, you say you can rule out overheating but you don't say what your temps are, what are they?

Your cpu usage, especially on a new install of Vista is likely to be the indexing service

OK, it could be one of XP's processes that's causing the problem. Open the task manager, and close each process one by one whilst monitoring the CPU usage to find which is causing the problem.

True Folder what you told me to do worked perfectly. i remember that i have never cleaned out my case or fan. so i cleaned it out and now it runs perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom