New Build...An Overview and a Few Questions...

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, it's that time to go building again. I just need to finalize this and make sure there aren't any draw backs that you guys might catch before I order parts (probably tomorrow). I'm making my 'rents a computer, but not a full one. I'm swapping some of the parts from mine into what will be theres and then upgrading some of my components to keep the costs down. Here's what it will be:

Parents Computer:
Mobo 1 @ $73

OR

Mobo 2 @ $80

Someone help me here. I'd say that either would be fine and the 7 dollar price difference doesn't matter either way..just get the better one...I was leaning toward the EVGA...

CPU - Too lazy to look up on newegg but it'll be the C2D 6420 from my current machine

RAM @ $35

HDD - A couple of 40GB IDE Drives I've got lying around....my parents don't need a lot of storage...it'll mainly be an internet machine

GPU - My old radeon x1950xt GDDR3 256mb...yes overkill for THEIR system, but I want a new one...maybe I'll sell this old one..who knows...probably won't get much out of it.

CASE @ $37

PSU - The old Raidmax 500W from my case and then I'll get a new one...modular of course.

DVD/CD Drives - Already have a gazillion lying around

Ok so the total cost of that build is just $152 since I'll be using some of my old parts and now here's what my system would look like after upgrades:

Mobo - already have

CPU ...here's where I'm debating...do I want the new 45 nm E8400 for $195 or a 65 nm Q6600 for $215? I'm thinking the E8400. I don't do any heavy video or music encoding and only do some photo editing, but not enough to consider..the heaviest thing that I do is play a few games which isn't saying much since that's usually just Assassin's Creed, COD4, or RB6 Vegas 2...i don't even hit 90% on my current 6420....

RAM - Already have 4GB of Patriot DDR2 800

HDD - New Seagate 750GB already on it's way which was planned before this build so I won't include the price.

Case - Owned already..in specs.

DVD/CD Drives - Already have these as well

GPU - I had a thread about this earlier as I was trying to make a decision, but I'll ask again here since build threads attract more attention. I think I'll get an ATI 3870 as it pretty much out performs everything in it's price range that I know of. (~$160 and UNDER) So i'm deciding between these:

Sapphire @ $156

Sapphire 2 @ $167

Diamond @ $158

MSI @ $163

If there's an nVidia card at the ~$160 price range I'm not against that and if there's some magical card at $180 I'd bust my wallet for it but I wouldn't top that. Let me know here. This and the CPU were my big "ifs"

PSU - I was originally just going to keep my 500W but I'm thinking if I get that new cpu and vid card I'd like to have a little head room....so here's the modulars I came up with..I hate clutter so that's my solution...

Raidmax 700W

and if you think that one is crappy my alternative is this apevia (non-modular :-( )

and if you think both of those are piss-poor, this is the best one i could come up with in my price range, though it's not modular..oh well... OCZ

The total costs for upgrading my system then would be anywhere from around $425-$472

The total for both systems being upgrade/built would be $577-$624...not bad for gaining an entirely new computer (well pretty much) and upgrading mine..

I think that about covers it unless I forgot something....kind of confusing, I know, but bear with me....thanks for the help guys! I really do appreciate and I'm glad to be back on the forums since I'm finally done with college classes..

Thanks!
Zac

Hey Dude, nice to see u back.

As far as the motherboard for your rents goes, I suggest the EVGA one over Foxconn. Also, leave the X1950 in their computer. You never know when a second gaming machine could come in handy.

Now for YOUR computer, your two choices are both alright. The E8400 would obviously shine in gaming, especially if you overclock it. People are hitting 4Ghz with these chips, while the Q6600 will give you 3.4-3.6.

That said, the Q6600 isn't a lightweight. As you know, I have one and am very happy with it. I run multiple (as in A CRAPLOAD) of programs at the same time and I seriously can't slow this machine down. I'll have two to three windows of Firefox open with 20-30 tabs open in EACH, Winamp w/ visualizations, uTorrent, FL Studio, AIM, PeerGuardian, and i'll sometimes have a game running in the background too. It has NEVER burped. Obviously the new 45nm chips are cooler and use better technology, but the Q6600 is still strong and capable as you know.

Now, for your graphics cards, the ATI's will be fine, but if you can stomach another $20-30 over your budget (which isn't that much if you REALLY think about it), you'll be able to afford a nice NVIDIA 8800GT, which will give you a nice performance boost. I've got a GTS myself and can't stop raving about it. 100% on every single game except Crysis.

And regarding the PSU, I honestly don't know much about them, but the Raidmax you linked should be fine.

All in all, it looks like a solid build. I'll look over it once more after dinner.

Cheers,

Chris

Appreciate the look GhostGT...as always. I order the parts before you got back to me because I had to hit a couple of memorial day specials from newegg before they expired. Here's what I went with.

Parents:
*EVGA Board (good call GhostGT!...I second guessed and took the better)
*My 6420 out of my current
*2GB of that OCZ Reaper RAM
*Then I decided at the last minute that I'm going to sell their old 'puter, so I'm giving them my 320GB Seagate, and I'm going to get ANOTHER 750GB HDD when they are back in stock for my external enclosure instead of the 320 that would've went in there.
*I got them the Raidmax case that is linked above
*For a PSU I went with this OCZ as it was plenty good enough, and I'm just going to keep my current one for right now until I REALLY need a new one. Although once I check my rails I might swap mine for this OCZ.
*Again, I already have a crap load of DVD/CD roms and writers lying around that I'll use
*And I'm still going to throw in my old X1950XT into theirs for safe keeping as GhostGT mentioned :)

For My System:
*My new shiny E8400 :) Maybe I'll finally get around to OC'ing..I think I'll practice on the 6420 in my parents new one first!
*Keeping my Asus P5N-E 650 SLI
*Got my 4GB of Patriot RAM in there already ^
*Got my dvd writers already
*Got my case and psu already (unless I trade for the OCZ with my parents)
*Throwing in a brand spanking new 3870. I went with the Toxic Sapphire one...should be pretty good. It was almost already out of my price range, but thanks for the 8800 recommendation Ghost...I was thinking about it but I don't game to heavily for it to pay off for me personally.

Total Build and Upgrade Costs=$673.93 with shipping from newegg.
If everyone honors their rebates, I'll be down another $125 from that at $548.97!!! That's pretty darn good considering I'm getting an entire nother GREAT computer out of this for my parents plus the most EXTREME computer I could ever want or need that fits in my budget! I'm super psyched and revved up about this one..should be fun..I'm sure I'll be back here with some sort of problem or question when I start the build! Man is it ever good to be back here on CF to fulfill my niche ;-)

Thanks all looked and helped, and obviously you GhostGT!

Zac

Anytime Zac, I'm glad you pulled the trigger on these parts. Looks like you're gonna have a fantastic time with two great computers.

And ditto on the graphics card. If you're not a hardcore gamer, you don't need top-notch graphics.

Best,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom