New Graphics Card low quality

laserluke

Baseband Member
hello---

i recently purchased a 512mb PNY 8800GTS (g92) graphics card and installed it into my compaq sr2050nx. Here are some specs:

Pentium D 320 2.8ghz (2 cores)
2 GB RAM 800 mhz
250 GB Hard Drive (7200rpm)
500w Antec Basiq PSU

So anyway i put in the card and loaded up 3dmark 06. I was hoping to see a giant increase over my old x1950GT, however I only scored about 5500 3dmarks (no AA/AF)! This is very low, concerning all the very high benchmarks i have seen for this card. I was extremely dissapointed, as i was hoping to blow away all my games... btw yes I updated my graphics driver to latest beta version...

One possible reason is the cpu bottlenecking the card... but i dont think it should by this much!

I also updated my BIOS, however could not find a chipset download for this comp.

By searching google and other forums, i see others have the same prob, but their solutions don't work for me!:mad: :mad:

Any ideas?:confused: :confused:

Thanks guys for your help!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if it was your CPU. NetBurst isn't that great.

drivers are up to date

is it fairly hard to upgrade processors? i have about a high experience working with computers...
ive been checkin out that hot 45nm e8400, i might buy that to replace this piece of crap pentium d

I would have to agree that your Pentium D is holding back the 8800GTS.

The E8400 would do the trick as long as your motherboard supports it.

Don't worry, 3DMark is flawed because of it's CPU scores. General gaming won't take much of a hit with a Pentium D even though Netburst was awful.

are you sure? im having a hard time playing games like crysis even in medium. my friend, with the same card, says he gets 30-35 fps avg in very high! Strange though, some games like vegas 2 and unreal 3 i get like 50 fps

Back
Top Bottom