Who Woulda Thought? MY Computer Taking about 2-4 Minutes to Boot!?

I've got a 320GB seagate 7200.10 SATA drive...I'll check the diagnostics when I get home and also defrag...It's under warranty so if it's failing I'll just RMA it...that's what I love about seagate...5 year warranty! I'm not sure if it's failing or not, the SMART sensors are all passing according to speedfan..but who knows how accurate those are.

if i was you i would get a raptor drive run ur OS on that and put everything else on ur seagate or an external that should def cut ur load time down to 2 seconds lol

if i was you i would get a raptor drive run ur OS on that and put everything else on ur seagate or an external that should def cut ur load time down to 2 seconds lol

Um..no. Not even close to an option. That's just a pure rip off.

As to what dude_se asked, no I don't have a floppy (and I have floppy boot up seek off) and I have my hdd selected as first boot device with all other options disabled anyways so I doubt that it's that....and no, there's no cd's in there.

go to run
type cmd
in cmd type sfc /scannow

that will scan your windows files to make sure that third party programs havent modified or infected them

Or just reformat

Wow. You guys are not going to believe this crap. On a whim, after trying everything you guys said to but a defrag and diagnostic check, I decided I would unplug the power to my dell's old 40gb ide hard drive. Wham. Back and booted into windows in 30 seconds....I'm puzzled as to why having a ide hard drive (selected as number 2 in the boot order none-the-less) would be making my system take forever to boot if I'm telling it to boot to my 320gb sata drive in the first place? I'm confuzzled... :-| Atleast the problem is fixed! Thanks to all for the ideas...everything is always appreciated!

Thanks all
Zac

Because windows still looks at the other drive while it's booting. If there was a problem with that drive, it'd slow everything down.

Yea right, have u ever owned a raptor drive?

I have no reason to. If you would have read my previous posts I leave my computer on pretty much 24/7. I'm not going to get a raptor just for my O/S. I'm not stupid. I'm not paying an arm and leg to have 30 seconds shaved off my boot time. Let's get back on topic here.

Back to CELEGORM: that makes sense that windows would look for that I guess, and I know theres nothing wrong with the drive, but I have a feeling that it's slow because it has never been reformatted...that's probably why. It's the old drive out of my dell, and since I switched computers (the old being a stupid dell) it wants me to activate again, so I'll just do a reformat with another xp disc I have lying around and I'll find out if it speeds it up a bit when I plug 'er back in.

Thanks for the help all. I should have mentioned that I had the drive, so it was my fault that none could help, but to be honest I forgot that I had plugged the power back in on it! No harm no foul. At least it's back up and booting correctly!

Zac

Back
Top Bottom