What do you look for or want in a computer? What kind of user are you?

Stephenerickson

Solid State Member
Greetings,

Currently, I am working towards my bachelors degree in computer science and I am doing a marketing plan for a college class of mine. I am doing it upon my fictional, as of now at least, computer manufacturing company, Stephen's machines. As a part of my marketing plan I would like to do some consumer research into what consumers want. I would like to know what kind of user you would consider yourself to be and what you look for in a computer. Also, I would love to know about new software and hardware implentations you would like to see made available in future computer models. Also, what services do you think are important when buying a computer and what services do you believe should be incorporated or added to current and future computer models. Services can include warranties, theft protect services, accidental warranties, and any new service that you think may be useful.

Thank you for your time and help.
Stephen

[Edit]

Btw,

I consider myself to be a computer geek and when I look for a computer I want one that has a powerful processor with a high l2 cache and a large front side bus, plenty of RAM, plenty of harddrive space, Bluetooth, webcam, built in mic, and touchscreen capabilities. Currently I have a Toshiba m700 tablet pc with an 2.5ghz Intel core duo processor with an 8mb l2 cache. It also has an 800mhz front side bus. My machine also has 3 gigs of ram and a 160gb 7200 rpm SATA harddrive. My graphics card is integrated and really not worth mentioning. I do not consider graphics to be of high importance to me because I do not do much graphic rendering or gameplay on my machine. With my machine I have a 3 year systemgaurd warranty which covers accidental spills drops and etc. I believe that this is a very important service offered by Toshiba.

when i buy a pc i look for the highest end most upgradeable one that way i only have to buy ever couple years

So are you mainly looking for a desktop rather than a notebook? I ask this because it costs a lot more to upgrade a laptop than it does a desktop.

Thanks for your input.

Stephen

oh yes
a laptop imo is more ment for the collage student in the class room and the bis man
a desktop i find much more conferable for the home because of the more power less money and larger monitor

Cool, thanks for your input. Your computer specs are very impressive, btw. I wish I had a Quad core but I love laptops and somewhat loathe desktops. Although I realize that desktops are much cheaper and are generally more capable than laptops. I like being able to take my computer with me wherever I go. So, I will have to live with my duo-core :).

Stephen

Yea, I wouldn't doubt it. quality computer monitors, graphics cards, sound quality, and keeping the machine cool are very hard to get with a laptop unless you want to shell out about 4-5grand. But for that much you could easily afford an awesome gaming desktop. I am not a gamer so I am sure there are more, or different, reasons why gamers hate laptops but I assume that these could be just a few reasons why.

Stephen

I would consider myself to be a general user i do mostly office and college work , make dvds every now and then , listen to music and browse the web with my machines

i generally look for relatively powerfull components but at a cheap price so basicaally balencing out price/performance leaning more towards price

such as my desktop where the processor is pretty capable but it only cost like £40 , i am not a gamer so the computer like the one in my sig should last me at least 3 years as i dont have the need to constantly upgrade to get eh most from the latest releases
when buying laptops i generally go for processor and memory as appose to getting a gpu , my current laptop has a C2D 1.83ghz 2GB ram but only integrated graphics cos none of my general tasks require high power graphics

POWER...lol i like to get a computer that ill get the best upgrades, lots of ram, good quality gfx card (ATI) and good heat controllers

POWER...lol i like to get a computer that ill get the best upgrades, lots of ram, good quality gfx card (ATI) and good heat controllers

Brandon,

So are you looking for a desktop rather than a laptop? Or will you go either way as long as the specs fit what you described?

Muz,

Thanks for the great post of information.

Stephen

Back
Top Bottom