Who Woulda Thought? MY Computer Taking about 2-4 Minutes to Boot!?

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, this is quite self-explanatory. My computer has recently been taking WAY longer to load than normal...it used to load in about 30 seconds into windows, but now it hangs at the Bios splash screen for 1-2 minutes and then it hangs with a blinking "_" icon in the top left of a black screen for another 1-2 minutes before showing the XP boot screen! I have no idea what's causing this as I've made no recent hardware changes..I've noticed this for the past month. I have just upgrade my bios to no avail...I also had 2 boot paths (one for TuneUp 07 which I use with XP Themes) but I deleted it and that didn't do me any good either! It's not a major problem as my PC doesn't get restarted often, but I'm just wonderin' what the problem is.

So, yes, I have:
*Updated Bios
*Made sure all boot settings were correct
*Made sure I only have one boot path
*Checked my hard drive state in SpeedFan with the S.M.A.R.T. sensors

Let me know what you think and if there's anything I should try!

Thanks in advance!
Zac

Run some virus and spyware scans. These usually are the culprits to a slow down. Also, download and run CCleaner. It is a great free disk cleanup utility and registry cleaner.

Well, this is quite self-explanatory. My computer has recently been taking WAY longer to load than normal...it used to load in about 30 seconds into windows, but now it hangs at the Bios splash screen for 1-2 minutes and then it hangs with a blinking "_" icon in the top left of a black screen for another 1-2 minutes before showing the XP boot screen! I have no idea what's causing this as I've made no recent hardware changes..I've noticed this for the past month. I have just upgrade my bios to no avail...I also had 2 boot paths (one for TuneUp 07 which I use with XP Themes) but I deleted it and that didn't do me any good either! It's not a major problem as my PC doesn't get restarted often, but I'm just wonderin' what the problem is.

So, yes, I have:
*Updated Bios
*Made sure all boot settings were correct
*Made sure I only have one boot path
*Checked my hard drive state in SpeedFan with the S.M.A.R.T. sensors

Let me know what you think and if there's anything I should try!

Thanks in advance!
Zac

When you say you do not restart it often,does it mean you have it on a lot?

Hey, this actually happend to me on my old computer it would out of the jus start taking way longer to load and hang up on the load screens and bios, this confused the hell outa me I thought it was a driver update issue to but I just went ahead and reformatted everything and now it runs fine

Hey, this actually happend to me on my old computer it would out of the jus start taking way longer to load and hang up on the load screens and bios, this confused the hell outa me I thought it was a driver update issue to but I just went ahead and reformatted everything and now it runs fine

See I honestly think that this IS the problem. I know I'm virus free...I've run multiple scans and such...I'm good with that kind of stuff...

We'll find out if it's the hard drive, because this tuesday my new Seagate 750GB is arriving from newegg to replace my current 320GB (which will now go into an external hard drive enclosure). Once I get all that stuff partitioned and up and running I guess I'll find out if it needs a reformat.

To OHNOES: I haven't formatted since I built my computer about 10 months ago (July of last year of so...somewhere around there).

Let me know if you have any other thoughts. I'll give an update when the new 750 is installed!

what brand hard drive do you have? It could be starting to fail, I'd look at the manufacturer's site and get their diagnostic tools.

also try a defrag if you have not done so recently.

Back
Top Bottom