Backup iTunes Library

toole13

In Runtime
What's the best way to backup my entire iTunes Library but save all my song data and such? I don't have "Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to library" checked for some reason, but I do have "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" checked in the Advanced Settings.

Well when you edit your songs in iTunes if permanently changes the ID3 tags on your files. So, therefore, even if windows explorer shows that the title and artist do not change, a music player will. (i.e. itunes, windows media, etc) So once you edit your songs, they are "saved." The way that I back up my iTunes is to use some free burning software called CDBurnerXP Pro 3. I back my songs up onto DVD, but CD's will work fine.

This is what I do. (Keep in mind a typical DVD holds less that the "advertised" 4.7GB...it's actually around 4.4GB depending on if it is a +/- format)

I make several playlists in iTunes and label them whatever (either date or number..who cares... :) )

Then, I sort by artist and drag in so many songs until iTunes says (at the bottom of the window) that I have ~4.4GB. Then I just keep repeating that step for all the music I need to back up.

OK, now, I open the burning program and select "make dvd/cd" or something to that measure depending on what burner you are using. Then I simply ctrl+a to highlight the songs in the playlist and drag over to the burning software. Walah!

Of course, you can just burn a data disc in iTunes, too...but A) I don't really like iTunes as it produces too many coaster discs, and B) I like things to be complicated! :) Plus I'm not sure if iTunes can burn a data DVD...I've only used a data CD before. So, I guess that's how I do it....there's a million and one methods and as long as you have your backup, none of them are wrong!

Zac

Thanks a lot. I think I have done the data disk thing and it worked really well, but I can't remember how to do it. I'll try the method you just mentioned.

Of course, you can just burn a data disc in iTunes, too...but A) I don't really like iTunes as it produces too many coaster discs, and B) I like things to be complicated! :) Plus I'm not sure if iTunes can burn a data DVD.

You can always get an external hard drive.

Datalyss -- It's true that an external HD would work, but if he doesn't have a lot of songs it's not really worth it.

toole13 -- To burn a data disc, go to iTunes -> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Burning -> Select "Data Disc" then hit ok. Now just make a playlist and watch the meter at the bottom till it is just below 700MB and then burn!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I think data discs only work with CDs in iTunes, not DVDs...

Datalyss -- It's true that an external HD would work, but if he doesn't have a lot of songs it's not really worth it.

Yes, but he didn't say how many songs he had, did he? Besides, the iTunes store doesn't just sell songs, you know.

Anyway, you said backing up your library "produces too many... discs." That is what I was responding to.

Anyway (again), my Pocketec 727 DataStor External USB 2.0 40 GB Hard Drive was only 57 bucks.

Yes, I know he didn't say how many songs he had...that's why I put "if he doesn't have a lot of songs it's not really worth it" ..if he has 250 songs to back up, a hard drive would be a waste. I only implied that backing up a large library with CD's would take a lot of discs..I backed up my 15GB library with just 4 DVDs....

Why do you feel the need to be so hostile? I simply told him what "I" do to backup my library...no need for this sillyness...

I thought I was being sarcastically humorous. I have no hostile or offensive intentions. Don't take it personally. :)

Back
Top Bottom