Hi, I'm Stomped!

waldorfpc

In Runtime
I've come across something that I've never seen in my entire career of working with computers, and it has me stomped. Hopefully, some of you have some suggestions.

I reformatted the hard drive of my client' computer. I activated windows with microsoft, and all was well until I rebooted the machine.

At start up, I get the message asking which opperation system do you want to boot from. They both say the same thing.

When you click the first option, it works. Everything boots up wonderfully. When I click the second option, it tells me that it cannot boot because there is no media to boot from such as a disk. Shy of reformatting everything again, are there any suggestions on how I can rectify this problem. Any help is appreciated. I'll be giving rep points to all who participated in my thread.

U go into boot order and just take the second choice out.....maybe some one can tell how to do it....im not to sure how to explain how to do it.

Hascet, once i get to the settings, what then? Just want to make sure I have everything right before doing this since this is my client's computer. Thanks. Oh, and some positive rep points came to the way of all who participated so far. Thanks, guys.

remove the 2nd one in the list (or check the names and remove the bad 1). if you remove the wrong one for some reason you can restore the boot.ini using the xp cd (just a tip)

1zbcqbk.jpg

I've had this problem before on a couple of old HDDs (one a 6GB and one a 10GB) They both ended up doing this weird boot thing like you mentioned---giving you two options when I was SURE I only put one primary, full partition on there. In the end I think I ended up putting the XP CD back in and deleting one of the partitions...it worked on one, but the other I deleted the wrong one and as dude_se mentioned, I had to use the XP cd to put the boot.ini file back on the HDD. Good luck!

Zac

remove the 2nd one in the list (or check the names and remove the bad 1). if you remove the wrong one for some reason you can restore the boot.ini using the xp cd (just a tip)

1zbcqbk.jpg

if both lines say the same thing like "Windows XP Professional" and you want to make sure you delete the right one, change one to something different like "XP Pro", after changing the one to read "XP Pro" in the quotes and saving the boot.ini, then the next time it boots up and asks you which operating system you want, select either one, but remember (or better yet, write down) which one worked and which didn't, then boot up to the one that worked and delete the other in the boot.ini, it takes a little more time, but better to be safe than sorry imo, that's how I do it...

thanks so much for all of your help. I appreciate it. I did some extended research and I figured out the issue. The computer has a card reader, and that sometimes happens that the install can become messed up. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom