windows xp home edition question?

altimator2001

Baseband Member
How do I go about reinstalling a pc that wont boot up fully. I turn this pc on and it does not load error message logon.exe failed to load i got this as a donated pc to mess wit and do not have xp discs jus a few the pc cam ewit back up delll installed progs
fax/moden disc
resource cd utilities diagnostics
let me know what i can do than x email me at trey420@comcast.net

Turn The computer on and put in the resource cd, that is if it is a recovery cd.

If its not and the computer doesn't have a separate recovery partition you wont be able to do it without windows disks.

If it is a restore cd that u have hit F8 on startup or F10 depending on your computer to launch boot menu and select the CD

If all else fails then you can get a distro of Linux like Ubuntu and put it on that computer and then you will be set to go.

Cheers!

Sounds to me the best bet is buy a XP disc and to a complete format, as you bought it to play with it, wiping and starting again will give you a piece of mind that its fresh from scratch.

Depending on how old it is you could try to install one of the various distros of linux as someone has mentioned already. If it's really old go with DSL (damn small linux) and if it's not too old, Ubuntu will work fine.

Depending on how old it is you could try to install one of the various distros of linux as someone has mentioned already. If it's really old go with DSL (damn small linux) and if it's not too old, Ubuntu will work fine.
If it can handle XP, then it can definitely handle Ubuntu...

You can borrow a copy of the XP disc, or torrent one (that is not illegal, it's illegal to use the same key or crack it), then use the key that should be on the side of your PC. If you don't have a key on the side or back of your system, then you have to go buy another copy...

If it can handle XP, then it can definitely handle Ubuntu...

I know that..but with his horrible spelling and grammar (not to thrash the original poster) I couldn't tell if he meant that HE didn't have any XP cds to use or the COMPUTER didn't have any XP discs to use...so that's why I said that. Sorry for any confusion.

yes thanks for that...in responce to the question, dell might have installed some recovery program on it, like my vaio laptop, no disk required, press a unique combination of keys at startup and it takes you to the recovery program, go call them, find out.

yes thanks for that...in responce to the question, dell might have installed some recovery program on it, like my vaio laptop, no disk required, press a unique combination of keys at startup and it takes you to the recovery program, go call them, find out.

Yes and you can find that out in "My Computer" If you see two hard drives (two partitions) and you are sure there is only one physical hd...odds are one is the recovery partition....

I know that..but with his horrible spelling and grammar (not to thrash the original poster) I couldn't tell if he meant that HE didn't have any XP cds to use or the COMPUTER didn't have any XP discs to use...so that's why I said that. Sorry for any confusion.

Its my bad on the confusion I was mad tired and didnt re read what i wrote...Anywayz Update for this question to clarify everythin

1st I turn the pc on and it gives me a error message that states "winlogon.exe unable to locate componet."
then syays"this application has failed to start because shell32.dll was not found. re-installing the application may fix this problem."

2nd I do not have any discs from dell and the computer i have does not have discs to clarify that. I want to know how to fix this problem to be able to use this pc again

Back
Top Bottom