Gonna try Linux...

drumthrasher

Fully Optimized
I'm gonna try Ubuntu 8.04 out just to see what its like. I'm getting it via torrent, its going pretty damn fast. I'm also going to try out the Wubi Windows-based installer. I already made a 20GB partition...

I'm gonna try Ubuntu 8.04 out just to see what its like. I'm getting it via torrent, its going pretty damn fast. I'm also going to try out the Wubi Windows-based installer. I already made a 20GB partition...

Why do the Wubi installer when you have a 20GB partition? Just do a full install on the 20 gig. If you need any help I know that me and some other guys around here will be able to help you out.

To spare burning a CD. I could but atm I just don't want to...:confused:

Figured I could try it out.

Wow the ISO just finished, it took a total of 18minutes.

WUBI, is an ok program, but I wouldn't recommend that you use it. If you burn the CD and then use their installer you will understand the install process better. That way if you ever have to install it yourself it would be so confusing.

Cheers!

Ubuntu has a very easy install process, I doubt he'd have trouble figuring it out.
I am not saying that he would, and it is a great way to learn the Linux install process, but later on if he chooses to move on to other distros like Slacware, Fedora or RHEL, then it will help him understand the process with out a gui to help him.

Cheers!

RHEL is pretty easy too. Slackware well...

WUBI seemed to be ok, but doing a full install is the best way to do it. If you absolutely can not burn it to a cd then ok.

I like slackware's installer, but once it finally got done the networking just didn't work. Figures.

Yeah I used Wubi on the laptop and booted into it and let it install, then it restarted, then I choose the regular x86 Linux at its bootmenu, the bootlogo showed up and it went all the way through then all I get is a thing asking me for my username and password and I didn't know what to do. SO I uninstalled it all and i'm just gonna do this on my main desktop after burning it to a CD.

Back
Top Bottom