Car guys...

freestyler105

Golden Master
I'm buying a car sometime in the next few months. I'm looking at the Dodge SRT4, and ideally if I were to mod it I'd like to do it myself just for the personalization factor, but this deal is hard to just forget about:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...09&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=54

Too good to be true? I mean the blue book value is 12k in good condition from a private party, but look at the thing. He's claiming he put $20k into it...maybe not quite that much, but still that's a lot of stuff in there. Obviously driven pretty hard though...

The other SRT4 I was looking at was a stock '05 for basically the same price, 10,000 less miles.

Something you learn when you mod a car... your mods are worth nothing.
In general people don't like to buy cars with them because they assume they have been beat on (which is probably true) and the fact that you can just negotiate them out anyway. I know a guy selling a built Euro Package Focus in rare orange with like $20-something-K in mods and wants like $15K for it or something like that.

Get whatever speaks to you, but learn how to turn a wrench just in case anything happens. It will save you money.

Wouldn't you just sell the mods separate though? Or do people not really buy used parts?

I'm a car n00b haha I've been reading stuff all day.

It's been beat on, thats for sure. If I was going to get something with 400WHP, I would be getting a RWD car. If you want something like that, I would go for a WRX or something, its stock power, so its a lot more reliable, and its a subaru. But thats just my opinion. I am more of a drag guy though too.

The WRX is more expensive, and the SRT4 is actually a little quicker I think even stock. Both about 230WHP, but the SRT4 is lighter as far as I know. The thing's 0-60 is in the low 5's from what I've been reading

I meant to ask that too though, how much as all that power going to affect a car that's only 230WHP stock? Assuming it's tuned decently of course.

you know what I'm going to suggest.

But I'll say it anyway, do yourself a favor and go test the RX-8. It doesn't have alot of torque but once you get in the higher rpms you really appreciate it. Also the handling is just awesome.

Just try it out.

Finance and buy new if at all possible. Hell, A full time Subway salary could easily be your monthly car payment. Not only would you be getting a new car that you know hasn't been beat to shit with modifications and racing, and lord knows what else, You'll also be on your way to establishing good credit, Granted you get approved for a loan.. That's what I would do, But I also don't know your situation.

Personally I would never buy that car, Plus You have no idea when things are going to start going wrong, and from the looks of it, There's ALOT to go wrong.

See the thing is, my parents are paying for half of the price because of my grades, and they probablyyy won't go for a new car or a car that seems really nice. IE Mazda. On the other hand, my mom had a Dodge and thought it was the worst car ever, so she'd think it's a great car to beat up.

You never know though. Sucking up works wonders in the long run. I'd love to have an RX-8.

The more I read though, the more I'm leaning toward the stock. I may as well get used to the car for a few months, and by then I'll have more money to waste on the car:)

I wouldn't buy anything that has any extensive mods.

The SRT-4 will be quicker than a WRX stock for stock. SRT-4's put down 220-230 WHP, while the WRX makes that at the crank. Add more rotating mass from AWD and you have even less power to the wheels. You can't beat the launch of an AWD when both are on street tires though.

Since you have a M3 avatar, why not look for a E36?

Ah, I was originally gonna get an E36, but the one I was looking at got sold. It was a sweet little car though. The only thing holding me back was it was a '95, I'd really rather have something newer. Nothing else in my area unfortunately, they're hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom