AMD Phenom Compatibility

780a chipset. But honestly, don't go SLI. The HD 4870 is out on the 15th June and it will perform at least as well as SLI'ed GT's and will cost $275.

780a chipset. But honestly, don't go SLI. The HD 4870 is out on the 15th June and it will perform at least as well as SLI'ed GT's and will cost $275.

I agree totally. But the 780a supports SLI.

The Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe with the 790FX chipset is the one to go for.

The best chipset for SLI'ing 8800GT's is the 780a, but I agree with you, the 790FX is king in overclocking potential.

Ive heard nothing but bad things about AMD and their drivers. For instance the HD 3870 should outperform the 8800GT but because AMD sucks it doesnt.

For instance the HD 3870 should outperform the 8800GT but because AMD sucks it doesnt.
Why should it? There is more than clock speeds and stream processors to a GPU. For exemple. The 8800GT has 56 Texturing units, the HD 3870 has only 32. This severly reduced the pixel fill rate. The core and shader clocks on the G80/G92 are unlinked, allowing the shaders to run faster than the core, increasing shader performance. R600/RV670's clocks are linked, therefore the shaders (although there are more of them) are forced to run at the same speed as the core although this will change with RV770.
But the main thing RV670 lacked was Texturing units and that was it's achilles heel and will be corrected with RV770.

Drivers were spot on for the card.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that a certain Nvidia driver was the origin of over a third of BSOD's in Vista.

As u know i really dont know a lot but from what ive heard the 3870 should outperform the 8800 GT. Whether thats true or not it doesnt matter. The 4870 will outperform the 8800 GT, but I researched the card and from numerous sites i have found that it will cost $349. I really dont want to pay that much money. However i am willing to pay anything under $275-250. What would be the smartest buy?

Will a 790x motherboard support the 4850?

Since i am going to build this computer from scratch i also need a sound card. I need recommendations. Also i need to know if there is anything else ill need besides a hard drive, ram, disk drive, motherboard, graphics card, case, and power supply.

... and processor

Will a 790x motherboard support the 4850?
Yes, as will any board with a PCI-E x16 slot.
Since i am going to build this computer from scratch i also need a sound card.
You won't if you're happy with the onboard sound. But if you really want a sound card then there are other people who can help you better than me.

Back
Top Bottom