Easy Dual-Booting Guide (Windows)

drumthrasher

Fully Optimized
This little guide will show you how to partition and install multiple-Windows OS's (or others) on your computer!

THIS DOES NOT REMOVE ANYTHING AT ALL ON YOUR COMPUTER! ALL FILES WILL REMAIN INTACT!

Boot into your current Windows installation.
1. Start>Run: compmgmt.msc
2. Computer Management
3. Right click on your current HD>Shrink Volume. This makes unallocated space.
4. Right click on the unallocated space>Create partition. Fill out the settings accordingly. Restart to make sure everything is still working properly.

Now reboot and put in your OS disc of your choice and install it on the newly created partition. BOOM you're done!

Sounds easy enough but I still like using something like gparted, the partition manager of the OS i am installing.

which OS did you do this on, I didn't remember seeing this in xp and I just checked and couldn't find it. Vista maybe?

Start>Run. Type 'compmgmt.msc' (without the '). Its on every 2000/XP/Vista computer....not sure why you can't find it.

Hmm, my laptop has it (Vista), but I didn't have the option on my computer at work (xp pro), odd. Maybe you have to make sure you defrag first or your drive is under a certain amount of the capacity. Just checking.

I have windows xp home edition and I can get that window open the way he describes. If anyone cannot, try this:

Right click on "My Computer"
Select "Manage"

I have windows xp home edition and I can get that window open the way he describes. If anyone cannot, try this:

Right click on "My Computer"
Select "Manage"

You can get to management yes, good job, but can you find the shrink volume option in it is the question.

In XP once you're at the management console, click on disk management on the left side.

Make sure when you are going to shrink the volume that its on your main partition with all the space...I guess.

Back
Top Bottom