HALP partitioning

Smartpart

In Runtime
Ok so I am in the process of my first build. Its all good, but I have windows booting off of C: a 50Gb partition I made for os only. I also have a D thats 100 gb i will probably load my games into. I will probably make F or something for random other stuff and the rest of my hdd space. Now I just installed drivers and it didnt ask me where I wanted to install them. Or since the system needs those do they go in C.

Do I have to boot off of C. If so how can I make the default partition to save things F or something?

Windows will always see itself as the C drive unless something was configured durring the install.

Drivers will always install to what ever drive windows is on.

so im installing programs like 3dmark to f,a 300gb partition. but i have to make a new flder everytime or else all files and subfolders would be conjumbled. is there a way to make this auto create a folder like it does with c ?

It's really pretty simple. When the installer gets to the point where it asks where to install, such as C:\Program Files\3dMark, just change the drive letter from C to F. It will create the needed program files/folders and install normally.

Now, if you want all your programs to install by default to your F drive, follow these instructions:

Click Start > Run > type regedit, click OK.

Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Right click ProgramFilesDir in the right pane, select Modify to change it to the desired location.

You may also want to modify ProgramFilesPath to the same location as ProgramFilesDir.

You'll need to reboot to save the changes.

In c: There is Program Files and Program Files (x86) What is the difference?

In F: I had to make a folder Program Files. Then When I install something, for instance steam. I have to make a steam folder and then install steam into that.

There's no need to create a folder to install a program into. If you do as I outlined in my previous post, the folders will be automatically created by the installer just like they would if you were installing to your C drive.

Back
Top Bottom