SATA data and fan power

Smartpart

In Runtime
Can my sata data go on any slot on the mobo I want or does there have to be an order? I have 6 SATA slots on my sb and 2 on a Gigabyte sata2 w/e that is.

Second question. My case has 3 fans, and a front panel speed controller. Coming off the front panel is a male power and a female plug that is the output from the controller. Also off the front panel is power plug. Off all the case fans are a male and female plug. I use the male to connect to the power supply. How in the heck am I supposed to get the female output connected to anything?

SATA, look in your manual, for my board it says slots 1&2 to be used for boot drives, 3&4 for "slave" drives.

The other two SATA ports I'd guess are for a RAID array.

Sorry but I can't visualise your plug/controller problem from your description, any chance of a picture??

ill check manual tomarrow and post pics when i am on my computer. i actually have 8 ports. 2 are controlled by "sata2" and 6 bymy south bridge. do u jave aim or skype folder?

nope, sorry, AOL will never get near my pc, i used to Skype but haven't bothered for ages.

SATA2 (I'm fairly sure) you'll find is for a raid array

What's the board, i'll have a look at the manual online.

Can my sata data go on any slot on the mobo I want or does there have to be an order? I have 6 SATA slots on my sb and 2 on a Gigabyte sata2 w/e that is.

Second question. My case has 3 fans, and a front panel speed controller. Coming off the front panel is a male power and a female plug that is the output from the controller. Also off the front panel is power plug. Off all the case fans are a male and female plug. I use the male to connect to the power supply. How in the heck am I supposed to get the female output connected to anything?

Ok.

The 2 Purple SATA connections & the IDE connector are controlled by the GIGABYTE SATA2 chip. It will also give you RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD across the 2 SATA connectors & the IDE connector.

The 6 Orange SATA connections are controlled by the SouthBridge chip. It will also give you RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10 on the 6 Orange SATA connectors.

... as you've already stated.

With regards to connecting a Hard Drive just go in order. So if you have 1 drive then connect it to either GSATAII0(Purple) or SATAII0(Orange). Again if you use 2 drives then use the 2 purple connectors or 2 of the orange connectors.

With regards to the Male/Female molex connectors on the fans? This is when you use the fans directly from a molex coming from the PSU. And having both sexes means you can connect the fan to the power supply and then connect the other end to a drive or the next fan. Because you have a controller you won't want to connect the female molex to anything else.

But I only have one controller and it is a 4 pin plug, but there are only 2 actual pins. So I dont think it is power just output. It is only one connector, so when I use it on a fan I can't get power to that fan.... Its very confusing in words. I will try to get pics tonight, but getting my os on is top priority :p

after much trial and error while windows was installing I got the fans controlled. :p

Back
Top Bottom