How hot is too hot!? C2D at 48C load, ATI X1950XT at 76C load!!

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, this is something new for me, it seems as if I'm running a bit hot...but only under load. First off, here's my system, and I think my sig is up to date but if not I'll list everything:

Asus P5N-E 650 SLI Mobo
Intel C2D 6420 CPU @ Stock 2.13Ghz
ATI Radeon X1950XT GPU w/ 256MB GDDR3 Ram
4GB of Patriot DDR2 800 RAM
320GB Seagate HD
2 Samsung DVD writers w/ lightscribe

(System is about 8-10 months old now)

I just got Assassin's Creed and I decided to pop 'er in for a go and after about 4-5 hours of play I exited to find massively high temps that I've never seen before (I've played COD4, Crysis, and others on max for hours and hours never to see high temps on exit).

My CPU was at 48C and my GPU was at 76C!!!! That just seems like fire to me, and it's abnormal for my system to run that hot. I've got a gajillion case fans...a 120mm in front to pull air in, 80mm blowing on GPU, 80mm pulling hot air from CPU (both of those on the side viewing panel) and 2 80mm's in the back -- top exhaust, bottom inlet...so I'm not skimping on fans by any means and my case is roomy. So here's what I've come up with...

A) First order of business is to fully clean the case

B) Second, I might try to reseat the heatsink with new thermal paste because when I built it, I just used the thermal that was already applied to the heatsink and didn't bother to install my own.

C) If the first two don't work, should I buy a new HSF? I'm using the stock intel right now, and it HAS been working fine, but I'm not sure I guess. I looked at my RPMs in SpeedFan and it was revving up to 2200 when I exited A.C...that's 100% speed...and it is set at 100% perm. as well.

I just thought the temps were a bit high...and I know it is because my CPU was maxing at 100% during the game because after sitting for 10 minutes I'm back down to a CPU temp of 38C and GPU temp of 66C. Tell me what you think.....

As always, you guys are always the greatest!
Thanks for any help!
Zac

that sound fine. id it feels too hot throw in some more fans your parts should be able to run hot but if you are worried open the side and put a fan next to it blowing in.

Those are the temperatures to expect if you are using the stock cooler, and they are perfectly safe. I don't know the exact threshold of the X1900s but 76c is perfectly safe for a GPU.

Those are fairly normal temperatures Zac. Some aftermarket heatsinks and video card coolers might lower it, but you shouldn't worry about it at all.

Chris

Ok thanks..I was looking forward to replies from worshipme and GhostGT since you guys are better at this kind of stuff. Good to know that everything is fine....they just seemed abnormally high to me, but I trust you guys since you know stuff. Thanks guys! I also noticed that once exiting the game, within 5-10 minutes I'm back at my low idle temps between 36-40C for CPU so I was probably just overreacting...but I suppose it's better than underreacting and frying something!

Thanks again!
Zac

Ok thanks..I was looking forward to replies from worshipme and GhostGT since you guys are better at this kind of stuff. Good to know that everything is fine....they just seemed abnormally high to me, but I trust you guys since you know stuff. Thanks guys! I also noticed that once exiting the game, within 5-10 minutes I'm back at my low idle temps between 36-40C for CPU so I was probably just overreacting...but I suppose it's better than underreacting and frying something!

Thanks again!
Zac

Anytime dude.

It usually does take a few minutes to have temperatures drop down to normal, idle states. As we states, your temps are fine. If you get higher temperatures over time (higher than the ones you posted) then you might want to consider aftermarket heatsinks, but you're fine right now. Go back and game. :D

Heh, I did the same thing when I first booted up the comp I just built. I was freaking out not knowing if I had enough thermal paste on :)

Well, I just thought that I'd give an update. I installed Riva Tuner and changed my gpu fan settings. When I exit from gaming, it's never above 65C so I know that it's doing its job now...versus 88C on exit before (Yes, my 76C was a false reading -- didn't let the sensor refresh). I also cleaned my PC out a good bit and rewired after moving hard drives around and now my CPU is only hitting about 42-43 under load! Yippie! Again, thanks for the help!

Zac

EDIT: BTW I'd rep you all, but apparantly I have to spread some around first :)

Back
Top Bottom