So my Raptor just died

They are supposed to be really reliable with a MTBF of 1,200,000 hours, but I guess that isn't the case.

I just hope they dont ask for a receipt.
I don't believe they will, the serial number alone should be enough (assuming you're going to RMA direct to WD)

No matter how reliable a drive is, it will eventually fail.
That can be said for anything

then i took it out i dropped it. now all it does is make a nice clunking sound
They're not made to survive that for sure, Raptors are more "knock-proof" as they park the heads on a ramp as opposed to the platters when idle but definitely not drop proof.

Whats the point of it being fast if it's unreliable?
Most of the time they are extremely reliable, you can get out of character failures with any product.

wow that really does suck. What i do is keep an external with all my stuff backed up incase something like this happens. Once a month or so, i plug in the external, run the back-up, then disconnect it and let it sit. Then atleast you know you're safe incase your HD crashes.

But yeah, just see if you can get it replaced, cause that does suck HUGE!

I have three hard drives I keep all my valuable stuff. I just hope those drives don't die.

I have three hard drives I keep all my valuable stuff. I just hope those drives don't die.

that is why i have everything i ever downloaded backed up on data dvd's... if all hhd's crash and are un-fixable, i can always have the data discs.

i 1st started doing this when i used to keep all my music on slave drives.

Of coarse, but I have heard a lot more about raptor failures than I have anything else.
Because people who own Raptors are enthusiasts, so they're probably going to talk about it a lot more than a regular user who barely knows what a hard drive is.

I had a Raptor die once though, the RMA process through Western Digital was very smooth. No receipt needed, just the serial number and they'll give you a shipping label to print out:
http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/rmainfo.asp?custtype=end&lang=en

Mine's been running hard for 5 years now I think. little 36 gig, fast for just my OS.

PLEASE DON"T DIE LIL RAPTY!!

Back
Top Bottom