New PC, need advice

adoado

Beta member
Hello all ;)

I am planning on making a new gaming PC. I have made several extreme gaming PCs before, but as technology changes every year, I am not sure what is good and bad with all the new products out there.

I basically want to make an extreme gaming PC, while keeping the price as low as possible (a hard thing to do, I know ^^).

My first dilemma is whether to get dual 8800GTX graphics cards or go for the equivalent 9th series models. I plan to go dual-SLI if I use the 8x cards, or single for now with a 9x card. As for using crossfire, I have never used it before so I know nothing about it...

As for motherboards, another problem :p
I have been reading about the 780i chipset, but several places have not recommended it - one reason being its heat output. The 790i boards (Striker II) fix this, but there is no way I am paying 4 times the price for DDR 3 ram with very little improvement in speed...

And CPU - well, I will try to go some version of Intel quad core or, AMD?

I would really appreciate any advice, as I do not want to make a computer and find out it is not what I wanted it to be...

I want to run games like Crysis, Fear, etc. all relatively high, but I guess that means using Vista :(

Thanks ;)
Adoado ;)

running SLI is not necessary , theres not a good enough boost to pay an extra $350..

But either a 8800GTS or 9800Gtx there both great cards for gaming

For cpu get Quad coreQ6600 (or the newer ones), or Dual Core E8400 -E8500

As For Graphics card's,I Would go with the 9800GTX.Also as for Processors,I Would go with AMD Because of the price and also i have heard that they are better in gaming than intel.

As For Graphics card's,I Would go with the 9800GTX.Also as for Processors,I Would go with AMD Because of the price and also i have heard that they are better in gaming than intel.

Dont think that a AMD would be better then a E8400 @ 4Ghz

Lol,Well i have really only tried my dual core AMD i havnt actually tried an intel dual core in gaming.But Admittedly the intel e8400 is a mad overclocker.

so is the quad, i got another 1GHZ from mine.
shame intel locking the multipliers now

First, what resolution do you run? The only time I would recommend SLI/CF is for high resolutions and even then you don't need two. There are single-GPU cards available that powerful enough. If I were you I would go for ATI's upcoming HD 4870 card. It's supposed to be performing at least 25% better than the GTX and will be around $275. GDDR5 memory at 3.93GHz and 480 steam processors!!
And if you only go for a single-GPU setup, you can get an Intel chipset instead of Nvidia's 780i which is really just a 680i with PCI-E 2.0 and 3-way SLI support. P35 and X38 have much higher FSB potential.
Secondly, do you overclock? As this will have a big impact on the parts selection.
And CPU - well, I will try to go some version of Intel quad core or, AMD?
95% of games ATM run no more than two threads, therefore a quad core cannot be fully utilized and higher clock speeds will yield better performance. An E8400/E3110 is the one to go for.
I want to run games like Crysis, Fear, etc. all relatively high, but I guess that means using Vista
Vista is honestly not that bad. I wouldn't willingly go back to XP after running Vista for six months and I think the majority of people on this forum would say the same thing.

Oh, and BTW. The Nvidia 9-series are not new cards at all and are not worthy of the name. The architecture is nothing new and performance is definitely not revolutionary.

Back
Top Bottom