The Psychology behind CF

Fisher

Fully Optimized
i was reading through this article, "Dont flame me bro", http://www.newscientist.com/blog/technology/2007/11/dont-flame-me-bro.html

and thought that it applied greatly to some of the arguements on here. If you cant be assed to read all of it i think that these are the two main paragraphs altho the whole of it is just as relevant. it does talk about email but look at it in the form of electronic text communication in general.

Michael Marshall said:
Epley explains further: "If I send a joke in an email, it'll be ambiguous when it gets to you. That's hard for me to detect: the joke is funny, and I use that knowledge to judge how you'll interpret it." But the receiver may not realise that the email is meant as a joke ??? particularly if they are in a bad mood to start with ??? and that can lead to horrified responses like "I can't believe you just said that" and to an unnecessary argument.

In 2005, Epley showed that people can vastly overestimate their ability to communicate unambiguously by email. He suggests that we find it hard to take another person's perspective when communicating electronically. Similarly, a forthcoming study by Kristin Byron found that people tend to interpret emails more negatively than other forms of communication (Academy of Management Review, volume 33, issue 2), making them even more likely to respond aggressively.

Another obvious factor is that, if you insult someone online, it's unlikely you'll face any physical retaliation for it. Epley compares the resulting psychological distance to being isolated inside a car ??? another situation that seems to make people more prone to abusiveness.

That Article has some good points there,I mean if i were to abuse someone on here,it's not likely i will have to pay for it physically.So i guess your mind knows these things,so it tends to act more aggresively then in an everyday conversation,face to face.

that and the fact that communication isnt limited to what we just say. major parts of communication is played through body language, tone of voice and even the context of the environment that the conversation takes place in. Taking all of these into consideration and how we use them whether consciously or not can alter what the outcome of that conversation really is. seeing that none of these can whole exist through a computer, as we are dis attached from the other person. We do try and fill in these gaps by using smileys and lols but sometimes its not enough and a joke from one person can be misread and taken as serious resulting in a bitch fight

IMO that article is just pointing out the obvious,

im in a vry bad mood right now so excuse what im bout ot say next.

there are people on the internet that do things they would never do in person with someone else, i sat in a chat room once for teenagers and atleast 1 in every 10 messages were "any girl/boy wonna see me naked on cam" or hit 999 if you wonna chat to a 16/f/uk now you dont randomly go upto people on the street and say do you wonna see me naked.

but because they are not with you in person you say it, is it wrong ? well not entirely it allows people to express there self in a way they usually wouldnt, ever been in a room of people that are much more intelignet than you ? or much better looking thatn you ? well now it doesnt matter people can come to a forum / online place and talk with other people not caring about race / sex / intelignece levels its just doesnt matter, sometimes the internet is used for bad things but in cases where it can help the most geeky and ugly kid talk his way into the heart of a beautiful model is that wrong ?

im rambling on a bit now but i think you get what i mean the internet is what will cause "world peace" because ill state it again it doesnt matter who you are or who the person on the end of the messenger conversation is aslong as you have something else to help someone or even jus to mnake them happy then by that statement alone the internet has done its job,

why write a whole essay about how people interprut things on the internet yes it is near impossible to get across things like jokes and sarcasm but if you eliminate all that you end up with world wide communication through different communites and beliefs we can learn from each other.

i do realise im coming across like a love the world kinda guy but IMO its just the TRUTH.

Its the same as driving, people flip you off for any reason because they know there is not alot you can do back

Its the same as driving, people flip you off for any reason because they know there is not alot you can do back

dont get me started on driving :( people think just because there behind this big metal object they can shout and swear at you, me im carrying a baseball bat in my car if some1 starts shouting like a knob im gonna get out and do there headlights in

trust me my friend if you shout and act like a complete prick like a lot fo stupid drivers do i would.

trust me my friend if you shout and act like a complete prick like a lot fo stupid drivers do i would.

i dont act like a prick unless someone has done something to warrant it. which happens far too often nowdays.. if someone is a prick to me i am a prick to them. i.e. tailgating. sitting right up my arse just makes me go slower and slower. carry on doing it and i slow down to 20, and make sure they cannot overtake. driving pisses me off at the best of times, the idiots out there just wind me up even more.

it was you who posted that kit the other week wasnt it? if i see someone like that behind me right up my arse i just think what a tit and piss them off..

tailgating is one of my pet hates though, no reason whatsoever for it.. just stupid and dangerous, people who try to intimidate you into moving out their way or making you drive faster deserve to be held up, and if someone tailgates me, they do get held up..

Back
Top Bottom