Raid??????

Yes it would work but you would loose most of the space on the 1TG drive.

You have to keep the size of the drives equal.

The logical way to do this would be to have the three 160GB drives on a RAID 5 and leave the 1TB drive on it's own.

For example..

I have a RAID 1 array for my precious files at the moment using two 120GB drives. However I want to increase the size of the RAID 1 array and also have a RAID 0 array for my programs/applications. And I want my OS on a completely different, 5th, drive.

So I going to acquire two 500GB drives and RAID 1 these for my files. The two 120GB drives I have at the moment will be RAID 0 and i'll have my programs/applications on there. And i'll use one small drive to install the OS on. Maybe 60GB. It's only going to have the OS on it.

This is the set-up i'm heading towards.

You got it.

And you would put your OS with the programs/applications.

And they're compatible with your board. Which i'll say is a pretty damn good board. And yes you can have multi RAID set ups.

:)

Remeniz I would like to thank you for helping me out. I was lost but now im found. Thank god for people like you!!

I reccomend raid 5 because if one of your drives gets nuked you dont loose any data .
Mind you this means you cant use all the space on the drives because some is reserved for backup.

I reccomend raid 5 because if one of your drives gets nuked you dont loose any data .
Mind you this means you cant use all the space on the drives because some is reserved for backup.

Mmmmm. I disagree. Remember that you need 3 drives for a RAID 5 array. And it's slow due to the calc's the controller has to do to with regards to Parity, or spreading the data across the 3 drives.

Ok RAID 5 is all good but RAID 1 provides the same fault tolerance with two drives instead of three and two drives will not fail at the same time. And if I had to consider RAID 5 i'd rather go to RAID 10, which the OP has the option to do.

The only RAID array that doesn't provide any fault tolerance is the RAID 0 array. All the other arrays will give you protection of data should a drive, or in some arrays, more than one drive, fail.

Back
Top Bottom