Career Advice

blinkme323

Beta member
Hi Everyone,

I could really use some help with this decision. I currently work for a large mutual fund company and enjoy the company and the people there. The problem is the company is very far from my home (28 miles) and it's not in my field of study (I have a degree in computer science and I'm working as a mutual fund analyst). I was recently offered a job much closer to home that will put me back in IT, this job will also pay me slightly more.

The sticking point is that I've become fairly comfortable at my current place of work and I'd be moving from a very large company to a fairly small one where I would be the only IT guy, which is a lot of pressure in of itself. My offical title would be "IT Manager" and I'd be performing basic duties such as monitoring the server, the active directory, and support issues. I'm a little nervous about being THE guy, but at the same time I want to get back into IT.

I've been out of the game for awhile and I'm wondering if this may be too big of an undertaking seeing as I will be by myself. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Thats a very hard chose, only you can make that chose.

I quit IT along time ago, I don't lke the money in it, its not the best. But it depends if you like it and if its going to pay for your life and fun.

do some hard thinking man

there is money in IT if you're good at it.

that aside, if you like IT then it can be a lot of fun...

being THE IT guy can be a little scary, but at least you know that you're going to learn a lot having to deal with the problems that are thrown up.

but also it can be a lot of fun.

I was the IT guy at a small software house in a previous job. it was daunting. I mean one minute I'd be pottering along doing something I'd know inside out, the next a new job would come in and suddenly you have to be an expert at a whole new field of IT and start giving advice to people.

this can be fun. and a great learning experiance.
but it can also be a lot of stress and hassle.

(I just wrote a large nostalgic post about all the techs I had to learn over the years, but then thought better of it and deleted it)...

what I will say is this:

if you are the 1 and only admin, you'll be forced to learn and trouble shoot problems that you may not otherwise face.
you'll learn to hold your own as the users are whinging on at you. and you'll become very proficient at doing your job.

at the very least if you do it well it'll be an enourmous stepping stone to another job perhaps as a part of a team so there is less pressure.

but it can be very stressful at times.

Thanks for the advice everyone. This is defnitely a good opportunity for me, I've just never been in this position before. I'm used to working for large companies and now I'll be working for a small one where I'll be the go to guy for IT. I guess there's only one way for me to find out if i like it or not....

Back
Top Bottom