Best external hard drive?

~NeonFire372~

Golden Master
I'm looking for a 500GB+ external hard drive. I looked at this Seagate drive and while it has loads of great reviews, there are also a lot of reviews across the internet that aren't so positive so I'm kinda undecided. I'd prefer if it were available at Circuit City but it doesn't matter as long as I get can it in some major city in the US - not online.

Any ideas? Reliability is a big concern and I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for the peace of mind, though <$200US would be better.

When I toured the college I'm going to next year, a lot of people had those and liked them.

If your looking at a WD Mybook or whatever they call it, do not get the 500GB. I have seen a few that have developed controller issues with the enclosure and you need to break open the enclosure to get any data off the drive (which voids warranty).

Anything by Seagate or Maxtor should do you just fine. Just look for one that suits your needs as far as space and portability goes.

The amount of reviews about failed drives worries me though... it seems like every external hard drive has its problems. :/

Back
Top Bottom