how much power?

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
so i got a new motherboard, the MSI K9A2 CF.
seems pretty cool so far, doesnt have as much OC feature as my old DFI one.
since i bought the board, it says it supports crossfire.
i am thinking of getting a 3870 sometime after 2 weeks, and another 3870 whenever i can (most likely around next year).
i couldnt find any bench marks of the 3870 CF against a single 8800 GT/GTS.
i was originally going to get a 8800GT, but the 3870 seems a little cheaper right now. I am on a budget since i dont have a job yet, and would like to have some extra cash just in case something breaks down.
so anyways, i was just wondering how big of a power supply should i get for a single 3870?
what about 3870 CF?
i am pretty sure that 450W is not good enough. and what are some good brands for PSU?
my specs on are on sig.
thanks in advance.

If you are looking at getting a second graphics card in the future then I would recommend that you get around a 700watt PSU. Just to be on the safe side.

cheers!

A good 450W PSU is fine for a system using a single HD 3870. It's recommended to have at least 550W for a Crossfire setup.

Some good choices would be OCZ, Silverstone, SeaSonic, Enermax, Antec.

If you are looking at getting a second graphics card in the future then I would recommend that you get around a 700watt PSU. Just to be on the safe side.

cheers!

BS. AMD recommends a 550W PSU for dual card CrossfireX, and you have to remember that AMD also has to take PoS power supplys into account in that rating. A quality 450W+ would be enough for HD 3870 CF.
I've not heard of Xion unless you mean Xclio so I'll let others answer that.
i couldnt find any bench marks of the 3870 CF against a single 8800 GT/GTS.
I can assure you that a HD 3870 CF setup is going to be faster than a single GT in almost every benchmark except for the odd one where Crossfire is not well supported.

I can assure you that a HD 3870 CF setup is going to be faster than a single GT in almost every benchmark except for the odd one where Crossfire is not well supported.

i see, thanks.
but what about 3850 CF against the 8800?
i saw benchmarks, some shows its the same, and some shows that its worse.
buying 2 3850 is about $100 cheaper than buying 2 3870, thats why i am asking in case you guys are wondering.

It really is a tossup between the 3850 CF and a 8800GT. The CF setup will work better if the game's are optimized for dual video cards and running at the highest resolutions. A single 8800GT performs better at standard resolutions using AF and AA settings.

playing games on 1680 by 1050 resolution, which is the best option? (8800, 3850 CF, 3850 CF)
and what about playing 1680 by 1050 resolution with AA and AF on? (mid to highest setting)
oh yeah, and i found this link, but doesnt show the resolution as 1680 by 1050
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/605/1/

If you noticed in that review, the 8800GT held it's ground against the 3850 in some games. When the resolution was cranked up, the 3850 CF pulled ahead. I'm assuming those benches were done with all options on including AF an AA.

Back
Top Bottom