When would it be worth my while to upgrade?

OTSS

In Runtime
My current computer is in my sig. Right now it is kick ass and I wouldn't even consider upgrading it until before christmas. I play alot of FPS and Strategy games(ie. waiting for starcraft 2 like it was the greatest game ever). But what new processors are coming out? When will we see the prices of the 9800GX2 drop? Or when will ATI come out with a card to beat the 9800GX2? I want to be able to OC my computer to 4Ghz on air, is the Q9550 able to do it yet or do we have to wait for another CPU? When do they usually drop prices on CPU's as well?

Sorry for so many questions.

There are no new processors coming out that are really worth upgrading to until Nehalem or the 45nm Hi-K Phenoms.

And in case you haven't heard about the HD 4800 series. Google HD 4870 vs 9800GX2 benchmarks. Release date is June 15th - June 20th.
I want to be able to OC my computer to 4Ghz on air, is the Q9550 able to do it yet or do we have to wait for another CPU? When do they usually drop prices on CPU's as well?
I sincerly doubt it with air cooling. Intel are really limiting the multipliers on the 45nm quads. The Q9550 has a 8.5 multi. If you really want better performance and you are a gamer, get an E8400/E3110. But even then you wouldn't see that much of a performance gain as modern games are much more GPU bound.

I also do alot of encoding and raring. I would like the faster CPU so that I can do everything faster.

Then TBH. A Q9550 or Q9450 isn't a worthwhile upgrade. You're not going to get 4GHz out of them with air cooling and the P5K and the performance boost for the money spent just isn't going to be worth it.
But if you've got money to burn...

Alright well maybe I will upgrade just the GPU and wait till next year for a new processor.

Where did you see that the HD 4870 is being release in June 15-20? Did you see a price? Also those benchmarks look fake. I will wait till it is in actual test rigs from known benchers. I will definetly be interested in that card though as soon as I see some specs.

Back
Top Bottom