New build problem

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
I'm in the process of building a new computer, it is the 3rd one that I have built. All the parts are in but it just doesn't work. The problem is that when I push the power chord into the back of the power supply, the fans (case and on the psu) turn on for a brief second and turn straight back off again. This is before I have even pressed the power switch on the front of the case. Thanks for any help.

Mine does the same thing. But mine works.

Check the connections to the I/O panel.

If it's a plug then this isn't the problem. Otherwise check to make sure you have the I/O connectors in the correct place.

I know this will make me sound like an idiot but when you say the Input/output panel, do you mean the sockets/switches on the front of the case? Like the small black plastic switches that connect the power switch and LEDs to the motherboard?

I know this will make me sound like an idiot but when you say the Input/output panel, do you mean the sockets/switches on the front of the case? Like the small black plastic switches that connect the power switch and LEDs to the motherboard?

Nothing is idiotic on here.

Yea. You got it right first time. Make sure that the plugs are on the correct pins.

Ok thanks, it took me a while to get those plugs in the right place on my last PC too, it wouldn't turn on until I did.

I'm in the process of building a new computer, it is the 3rd one that I have built. All the parts are in but it just doesn't work. The problem is that when I push the power chord into the back of the power supply, the fans (case and on the psu) turn on for a brief second and turn straight back off again. This is before I have even pressed the power switch on the front of the case. Thanks for any help.

What you're explaining here is normal; some computers I have worked with do the same thing when you connect the power cord.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you surely have turned the power switch on from the power supply, right? from O to I?

Also, try re-checking the power connectors to the motherboard.

Ok.

Another common problem is the Motherboard shorting out on the Motherboard stand-off's.

Check that the mobo is seated correctly and that there are no metallic objects between the Mobo and the mobo tray.

Your Mobo might have a 24 pin ATX power connection together with a 4 pin ATX power connector, usually near the CPU area. Both of these need to be connected.

It has a 24pin and a 4 pin and they are both connected. I know it isnt the psu or case buttons as I have used both of these on another mobo as a test. The whole case underneath is just metal too and its touching that. Also the switch is on, on the back :p . The thing is I'm builing two computers at once here, identical motherboard and case, both have this problem. Also I don't want it to wreck my 8800GTS if it is shorting out. I might just phone up scan to get it replaced with another model.

Back
Top Bottom