How to do a System Recovery

DUDE MAN

In Runtime
I just formatted my computer because it kept crashing and getting infected. I don't want to always have to reformat my computer just to get rid of this problem. Can you guys show me how to do a system recovery?

I heard some time ago that after you have formatted your computer and installed all the programs you want that are necessary, you make a back up of it on to a disc. Whenever your computer goes bad or get infected you don't always have to reformat your computer and reinstall all the programs again because that just takes too much time.

Is that what it's called? I don't remember exactly what it's call; but if it's possible I'll think it'll be a time saver. With so many programs, reinstalling it is just a waste of time. Help!:D

Well, you have a couple of options. One is that you can turn system restore on. accessories > system tools > system restore. That will set restore points every couple of days or so, and also when you get an update from Microsoft.

Another thing to do is to create a separate partition and when you do a system back up like everyone is supposed to, just save the files to the other partition. That way when you need to do something like a restore then it won't be as time consuming as a reformat.

Cheers!

Well, you have a couple of options. One is that you can turn system restore on. accessories > system tools > system restore. That will set restore points every couple of days or so, and also when you get an update from Microsoft.

Another thing to do is to create a separate partition and when you do a system back up like everyone is supposed to, just save the files to the other partition. That way when you need to do something like a restore then it won't be as time consuming as a reformat.

Cheers!

Thanks. But, how do you create a separate partition? Do you mean two different hard drives?:)

Thanks. But, how do you create a separate partition? Do you mean two different hard drives?:)

Well, it can be thought of as two different hard drives- (and that would work as well) when you partition a drive you split it into two or more parts. These parts are completely independent from each other, so that when you reformat your computer, you'd only reformat one part.

I'm not sure how to partition within windows, although I know there are programs out there...I really only know how to do it with the Windows CD, so wait for someone else to give you your options on partitions.

Finally, I really don't understand how people get so many viruses. I don't have anti-virus software. I download free software once every 6 months, and then delete it after I scan it. I have yet to get a single virus. I think that people are blaming issues not caused by viruses, on viruses, since it's the only thing they know about...and if you are really getting that many...learn to surf properly xD It's pretty easy to identify suspicious links etc.

That is basically it. what you are doing is created a seperate piece or section of your hdd. Lets say that your hdd is 200GB. You can make your entire hdd the windows partition which i am guessing you did, but now you want to create a back up partition. So what you need to do is to get a piece of software like gparted. This is a free partition manager. Now once you have a partition manager, you can split your 200GB hdd, into different sections or partitions with different size amounts. So lets say that you want to create a patition for your back up that is 25GB all you would have to do is use the software, to create a new partition and resize it and then you would be all set.

Once you have the new partition all created and set up, then when you restart you computer will see two different drives listed, like C and D. Then you will be all set to go.

Cheers!

That is basically it. what you are doing is created a seperate piece or section of your hdd. Lets say that your hdd is 200GB. You can make your entire hdd the windows partition which i am guessing you did, but now you want to create a back up partition. So what you need to do is to get a piece of software like gparted. This is a free partition manager. Now once you have a partition manager, you can split your 200GB hdd, into different sections or partitions with different size amounts. So lets say that you want to create a patition for your back up that is 25GB all you would have to do is use the software, to create a new partition and resize it and then you would be all set.

Once you have the new partition all created and set up, then when you restart you computer will see two different drives listed, like C and D. Then you will be all set to go.

Cheers!

Thanks. That doesn't seem too hard to do. I'll give it try to see how it goes.:D

Ok, I've downloaded AVG and Kaspersky anti-virus and installed in my computer now my computer is slow. I couldn't be patient enough to wait for programs to load. So, I restarted my computer and did a system restore. It's much faster now, like usual when it was when after formatted. I'm just curious, if my computer was infected, will the infections (virus, spyware, etc...) be carried over when I do a system restore, or will it take away the infections?

Thanks.:D

It should be taken away. When you do the system restore, you restore the whole system back to the setting from the restore point. So if you didn't have the spyware, and adware etc. then you won't have it on your system. But, i would still recommend getting AVG free edition if it isn't on your computer.

Cheers!

It should be taken away. When you do the system restore, you restore the whole system back to the setting from the restore point. So if you didn't have the spyware, and adware etc. then you won't have it on your system. But, i would still recommend getting AVG free edition if it isn't on your computer.

Cheers!

Say, what if you do have spyware and adware, will it still be there even when you do a system restore?

Where do you get the free edition of AVG? I downloaded mine from a torrent. It's a 30 days trial. It's slowing my computer down. I can't even remove it, that's why I have to do a system restore. I also downloaded Kaspersky from the same torrent. Is it possible that it might come with spyware or adware? How do you check if it has any of those things?

Is the free edition good against spware and adware? Help.

Thanks

Say, what if you do have spyware and adware, will it still be there even when you do a system restore?
Plain and simple, NO!

Where do you get the free edition of AVG? I downloaded mine from a torrent. It's a 30 days trial. It's slowing my computer down. I can't even remove it, that's why I have to do a system restore. I also downloaded Kaspersky from the same torrent. Is it possible that it might come with spyware or adware? How do you check if it has any of those things?

Well, here is the thing you didn't get the free version. And you say that you can't un-install it then is there a possibility that you downlaoded something other then the software, like spyware or other things. I would recommend that you go here.
Then I would also recommend that download, Spyware S&D. Just google that one, and maybe the free version of Adware.

One word of advice don't download any software off a torrent unless you know exactly where it is coming from.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom