BIOS Question

Smartpart

In Runtime
:confused: I hear people talking about thier BIOS and how it is better than other BIOSes. What makes it different. The creater like American Megatrends, or the brand of board like gigabyte. Thanks for the help.

neither.

Plain and simple the difference between one bios and the next is added functionality or a bug fix.

if for arguments sake you have a board that won't run your memory at a certain/correct speed and a bios flash fixes it then the second bios would be better than the first

So then one BIOS will not be better or easier to OC with than another?

Yes certain bios's will fix certain FSB holes while other bios revisions won't boot at that setting.

But you also have to look at everything else. Some don't support certain chips and memory while other revisions can. Normally you should just check the motherboard forums for the board you got and see what people have the best results on.

I use P29 on my setup and there have been several releases since that update but nothing that really pertains to my setup as is so I have not updated mine since my first flash.

So then one BIOS will not be better or easier to OC with than another?
Yes that can be the case but not in the context of your original post.

My current board shipped with bios 0403, this was updated to 0703 to increase compatability with certain ram brands (bug fix), this in turn was updated to 0903 which added options to the bios (increased functionality), this in turn was updated to 1002 to enable increased compatability with certain 1600MHz ram (bug fix again)

So as you see you are sort of correct, it is just the examples you originally posted are not.

Back
Top Bottom