Error On Startup

joebeaven

Solid State Member
Hi,

The last few times I've started my computer, it's produced the following error:

"***Warning:H/W Monitor Status Abnormal***
Please enter the SETUP to check Voltage , Fan Speed or Temperature Status"

I need to press F1 and then I can go into Windows XP and use it as normal with no noticeable difference.

I can't think of anything I've done to cause this error to appear. Please can someone tell me what I should do about it?

Thanks,
Joe

If you can somehow get into your system BIOS when the computer is starting up (by tapping DEL, F2, or whatever yours is) then you should be able to enter some sort of menu saying something along the lines of H/W monitor or PC Health Status.

Then you should be able to find a reading displayed in RED, which should be your problem.

Get back to us with more info.

Hi GhostGT,

I've just restarted it a couple of times and it doesn't seem to be producing the error any more which is odd. It's not quite as hot and humid right now as it has been the last couple of days. I don't know if that could be the reason.

Here's what was listed under 'Hardware Monitor' under BIOS:

CPU Q-Fan Control [Disabled]
Chassis Q-Fan Control [Disabled]
Vcore Voltage [ 1.32V]
3.3V Voltage [ 3.69V]
5V Voltage [ 4.78V]
12V Voltage [ 12.16V]

CPU Temperature 45°C
M/B Temperature 44°C
CPU Fan Speed 3325 RPM
CHA_FAN1 Speed 0 RPM
CHA_FAN2 Speed 0 RPM
CPU Fan Speed Warning [600 RPM]

Does that all look normal?

Thanks,
Joe

that looks all pretty normal except if you have jus booted into bios the temp may be a little high, im guessing by the time windows has loaded it may be uo by 3 -5 degrees, which depending on your CPU is rather hot,

what processor do you have

I did check it after a restart after the computer had been on for a while.

My process is: Intel E4400 Core2 Duo 2.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB Cache, Dual Core. 64bit

Thanks,
Joe

45 degrees does seem a little high most C2D's ive seen run bout 28-35 even under load but i dont think that will be enough to stop it booting

Is it possible that your computer room was extremely hot for the last few days? It could very well be that your computer was overheating and throttling the CPU.

When was the last time you cleaned/dusted the computer? I suggest buying a can of compressed air from a store near you (ie. Radioshack) and taking your computer tower outside. Spray that thing down; you'll be surprised with the amount of dust that will come flying out.

Chris

My computer room has been very hot the last few days. We've been having very hot weather.

I've never dusted my computer but I only built it a couple of months ago so it shouldn't be a problem yet, but I'll try dusting it anyway.

Thanks,
Joe

Next time you get the error message go straight into the Hardware Monitor in the BIOS and have a look...

vcore is high, I doubt you need that many volts to run stock clocks. Have you set it in the bios or is it on auto?

What is your VID?

Back
Top Bottom