Ahh, the "Million Dollar" Hard Drive Question!

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Alrighty folks, I need to invest in a new HDD for an external enclosure since I finally got my PC business up and running (not sure if any of you remember that thread--probably a good 6-9 months ago!...) and I'll need to have a means of back up for clients. As always, there's that age old question of WD or Seagate! Now, I've been using Seagate forever....the last 5-6 drives I'd say, but I'm not opposed to change. I'm not a "fanboy" of Seagate, however, I did just notice they offer a 5 year warranty instead of a 3 year warrany like WD. I need a 500GB drive and 90-100 dollars is just fine for a price. These are the two I'm debating on:

Seagate 500GB Drive w/ 32MB of Cache - 5 yr warranty - $100

WD 500GB Drive w/ 16MB of Cache - 3 yr warranty - $90

Speed isn't an issue since it won't be used for anything but storage, and USB transfer is slow anyways. I'm not fussy about waiting an extra 2 or 3 minutes to transfer files...I'm more about reliability, even if you pay more. I guess that's why I've been choosing Seagate! Also, I don't keep up with the HD world, but I could also choose to wait if there are new HDD's coming that would drop the prices of these drives, or increase quality of new drives!

Here's the enclosure I think I'm going with. It'll have USB support since most clients don't have eSATA, but It'll also have eSATA for fast transfer with my computer and other high-end systems with eSATA installed. It also comes with a fan to keep things cool:

Rosewill Enclosure

Thanks for your help!

Zac

currently theres 7 votes, all them say seagate.... haha 5 year waranty nice buffer i'd say go with that one not even that much money.. :D

Back
Top Bottom