Considering Overclocking my Computer RAM and CPU

NEED WOW NOW

Daemon Poster
I have been considering this for some time now and I decided its time to post something on this.

I did a little research and was getting confused when I was stress testing my CPU in Prime95. In the below picture it shows my computer set up for the blend test. What is really weird is that the temperature only goes up to a max of 35C. Never over that, and I have Quite n' Cool enabled if this makes a difference.
Untitled-1.jpg

Temp 1 is the Whole CPU
Temp 2 is Core 0
Temp 3 is Core 1
HD0 is the HDD
And Temp 1 under HD0 is the Motherboard temperature.

So then I checked in CPU-z and Found out that my CPU was not going above a 5x multiplier or a 1000 Mhz Core Speed. Usually it increase the Multiplier when it goes to 100 percent, but it hasn't done that in a while(when I check CPU-z every once and a while).
Untitled2.jpg

My CPU is the 5600+ X2 ( not the new 65 TDP ones)
My RAM is 2Gb of this RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034
Ram is set to auto timing in the BIOS and is set to 5-5-5-15 or something, I will check if needed.

I have the ASUS M2N32 SLI-Deluxe Wireless Edition, I love the BIOS, just pointing it out, it has an auto OC feature were you can chose what Percentage of an OC you want. I was wondering if i should use this.

Again, I am wondering what I should be able to achieve with this hardware and some guidance, as I have never Overclocked before.

Thank You,
Need WoW Now

:eek:

WOW. That CPU should be running 2.8GHz stock speed.

Something in the BIOS isn't set right. It's the Multiplier. 200Mhz times 5 equals 1000Mhz which is what your getting at the moment. If you can then set the Multiplier to 14 then do so. At 200Mhz this will give you the stock speed of 2800Mhz.

Also forget the auto OC feature of the BIOS and the percentages of OC it will allow.

Well everything in the BIOS is set to auto so I have no idea. :/
When I first got the Computer and used CPU-z it would go from 5x to around 14x when I started up a program.

. . . . . .OOOOO hold up.
I think I have my computer set to the energy efficient setting in vista. . . . . YUP, I do. T.T (I'm an Idiot)
I'll repost some updated screens with the Power saving option turned off in a sec.

Well everything in the BIOS is set to auto so I have no idea. :/
When I first got the Computer and used CPU-z it would go from 5x to around 14x when I started up a program.

. . . . . .OOOOO hold up.
I think I have my computer set to the energy efficient setting in vista. . . . . YUP, I do. T.T (I'm an Idiot)
I'll repost some updated screens with the Power saving option turned off in a sec.

Ahhhh, Vista.

Looking forward to it...

Anyways. As your title suggests you will need to turn of the Auto settings in the BIOS and any 'Green' settings to OC this baby and I expect this CPU to go well beyond 3Ghz.

:)

OK
You dont want to know what I thought I was getting with Speed Fan
Lets just say, I knew deep in my heart that my CPU wasnt hitting 71C on one core and 40 on the other. XD
Heres the screen shots that make everything confusing, So I think I agree on the PCWizard.
Believe this Picture
Untitled5.jpg

Disregard the others:
Untitled3.jpg

Untitled4.jpg

As you can see I am hitting about 46C at 100%
And you can also see that I almost had a heart attack when I thought my CPU core 2 was getting up to 71C. >.<

So, I have my lil Arctic Cooler 64 on that Heatsink just so you know.

So, Whats the verdict?

Just to reassure you slightly. PC Wizard tells me my power/aux temperature is 125c!! But anyways, just keep upping the virtual FSB slightly until you reach a wall. You may be able to go further if you reduce the HT link. This has no real affect on performance but can give you a bit more OC'ing room. Remember to make sure your RAM is always running at spec, and you may need to increase the chipset voltage slightly when you get to higher speeds.

you can hit 3ghz no prob on the cpu if those are your temps
just dont touch the voltages stock should be plenty

Soooooo
Go to BIOS and set the Multiplier to 14x and raise the FSB to about 207Mhz ?
and the voltages to Auto or 1.376 ?

And what about memory, I know I have a 1000Mhz Hyper transport 2.0 on this CPU so I want to get a little more out of it. ;)

A FSB of 207 is easily done. This will give 2898Mhz and a HT of 1035. Although you could go straight to 210Mhz FSB, for 2940Mhz CPU speed which will give you 1050Mhz HT speed. Which is fine.

I've just had a look elsewhere and I think 3080Mhz is as high as your going to get. This is with a FSB @ 220Mhz, an HT speed of 1100MHz.

Back
Top Bottom