FSB question

Sean7

Beta member
I've got an older computer and I'm looking to get a new processor since the socket on my motherboard is old enough that I can get a new one for under $100 and I think I'll do it.
My question is this: Is the Front-side bus on the CPU or is it separate?
I'm asking because, currently, I'm pretty sure I've got 533 MHz FSB and I know that the FSB is a huge factor in performance. If the FSB is on the chip, then I'd be able to get a chip that has an 800 MHz FSB and I should get a lot more from the chip.

And also, if the FSB isn't on the chip and I buy a new CPU, going from a 2.2 GHz Celeron to a 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4 Northwood, will I notice a large enough performance increase in the tasks like gaming and video encoding?
I've got a decent video card for this system, but I've reached the point where the CPU is my limitation in games and I think it may be worth it if there's be a big enough improvement to buy a new CPU.

Thanks,
Sean

a 533MHz fsb board will not support an 800MHz fsb processor

I doubt you'd notice much difference between those two processors tbh

Alright. That's what I thought. I just couldn't remember well enough.

Anyway, what's the opinion of everyone about upgrading?
I know it's time for a new computer, but since I'm 16 and I'm looking for a job, buying a new computer is out of the question at the moment.

My current processor is a 2.2 ghz Celeron... I don't know many other specs about it. But I can tell you that it's about 4 years old, going on five, if that helps at all.

ok you just sort of suggested you could spend $100 on a new motherboard i reccomend spending like $120 and you could get a fairly decnet CPU and Mobo for that

If you do pick up a new cpu, get a cheap amd, and new mobo. I have a p4 northwood in a comp, and it was always 90-100% when I used to play css on it.

Back
Top Bottom