Can't Connect to Internet in XP

Dispatchh

Baseband Member
I just installed XP on my computer (I'm using Ubuntu on my PS3 right now) and now I can't connect to the Internet. I read to type ping 127.0.0.1 in the command prompt which I did and it sent and recieved 4 packets perfectly. I also have Ubuntu installed on that computer and the internet works fine in Ubuntu and when I use to have windows 2000 internet worked fine too. When my friend installed XP he said he didn't even need to set up a connection and it just worked. I have a comcast high speed internet. Can someone please tell me what I need to do? Thanks.

click start menu right click my computer and click properties, click on the hardwrae tab and select device manaher, then look to see if there is any thing on there with a yellow !

say an ethernet controller ?

if yes then download everest home edition and tell us what make and model it is

There is a yellow ? but no a ! and it's other devices. The only thing under that is SMC2208USB/ETH which I think might be the ethernet controller you mention. Will I be able to download everest home edition and put it on a flash drive to bring over to my computer?

EDIT: I put everest home edition on a flash drive and installed it on my computer but I don't really get the results.

There is a yellow ? but no a ! and it's other devices. The only thing under that is SMC2208USB/ETH which I think might be the ethernet controller you mention. Will I be able to download everest home edition and put it on a flash drive to bring over to my computer?

EDIT: I put everest home edition on a flash drive and installed it on my computer but I don't really get the results.

ok in everest open it up and goto computer then summary then scroll down till you see network adapter or something like that,

I don't see anything that says Network Adapter. Under Network the only thing is Gateway Data Fax Modem. Is there supposed to be anything about my router?

C:\Documents and Settings\Jared>ipconfig \all

Error: unrecongnized or incomplete command line.

USAGE:

ipconfig [/? | /all | /renew [adapter] | /release [adapter] |

/flushdns | /displaydns | /registerdns |

/showclassid adapter |

/setclassid adapter [classid] ]

where

adapter Connection name

(wildcard characters * and ? allowed, see examples)

Options:

/? Display this help message

/all Display full configuration information.

/release Release the IP address for the specified adapter.

/renew Renew the IP address for the specified adapter.

/flushdns Purges the DNS Resolver cache.

/registerdns Refreshes all DHCP leases and re-registers DNS names

/displaydns Display the contents of the DNS Resolver Cache.

/showclassid Displays all the dhcp class IDs allowed for adapter.

/setclassid Modifies the dhcp class id.

The default is to display only the IP address, subnet mask and

default gateway for each adapter bound to TCP/IP.

For Release and Renew, if no adapter name is specified, then the IP address

leases for all adapters bound to TCP/IP will be released or renewed.

For Setclassid, if no ClassId is specified, then the ClassId is removed.

Examples:

> ipconfig ... Show information.

> ipconfig /all ... Show detailed information

> ipconfig /renew ... renew all adapters

> ipconfig /renew EL* ... renew any connection that has its

name starting with EL

> ipconfig /release *Con* ... release all matching connections,

eg. "Local Area Connection 1" or

"Local Area Connection 2"

That's what comes up when I run ipconif \all can I fix anything with that?

that probably wont come up seeing as you dont have a netowkr adapter installed, post screen shots of everest summary or copy and paste it all

Network adapters:

Direct Parallel 5.1.2535.0

WAN Miniport (IP) 5.1.2535.0

WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport 5.1.2535.0

WAN Miniport (L2TP) 5.1.2535.0

WAN Miniport (PPPOE) 5.1.2535.0

WAN Miniport (PPTP) 5.1.2535.0

That's what it says under network adapter. If I paste the whole report it would be extremely extremely long. Let me know if you still want it but please, please help me.

Usually its the drivers.
When I build my computer and got it running, the internet wouldn't work.
Popped in the motherboard drivers and ta-da!
Worked, it needed the LAN Drivers or something like that.

Aw man, I really thought that was going to do the trick Celegrom, but unfortunately I'm still not connect to the internet in XP. On the USB Ethernet piece, there are 3 green dots. One is lit up and it's labeled 100, the other two, ACT and 10 are not lit up. Also, where would I find the disc with my motherboard drivers? The computer is an old Gateway that originally had windows 98. Would I be able to download the motherboard drivers from the internet if I didn't have a disc anymore? Thanks

EDIT: Is it possible that my adapter is too old? I just found the floppy disk that came with it and it says released 2001 and has nothing about Windows XP in the read-me. Maybe I just need a newer adapter?

EDIT2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833129127
I think this is the newer model of what I have. Should I get this one?

EDIT 3: Intel Warm Springs WS440BX -- That's the name of the mobo in the computer.

EDIT 4: Would I be able to buy a network card? If needed I can give more parts of the PC to tell if it would work.

Back
Top Bottom