Something I gotta do.

Remeniz

Fully Optimized
I'm upgrading my mates computer cause it's a dinosaur.

He brought a Mobo, CPU, RAM and a PSU.

Ok. Now he has programs/Apps on his old PATA drive which is still working. It also contains the OS although this isn't relevant cause I can install a new OS.

I will be setting up a RAID1 array for him when he gets the SATA drives.

The only problem is that he has none of the programs/apps on CD.

So. What I need to know is...

Can I copy the programs/apps to a new drive ,minus the OS, to use in the new set-up?

You might run into some complications because some programs actually need to be re-installed on the new hard drive. Some programs might be able to run by just copying the main folder, but some (like Adobe programs) will definitely need to be reinstalled.

For example, I had Warcraft III on my old hard drive, and it works fine by copy-pasting it into my Raptor. However, Photoshop and Elements didn't.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought.

Its mainly sound editing software and soft snyth applications that I want to copy to the new drive.

No adobe software.

:)

Well, the best way to find out would be to test it.

I have a ton of similar programs that I use to create and edit my music and mixes, and some worked; some didn't. FL Studio 7 was about the only one that was fully compatible after the transfer.

Damn!

So the only way around this is to delete the Windows stuff on the old HD...

... and install an OS on the new HD.

Keeping the App's on the old and the OS on the new.

See, even though the old HD works it's starting to make strange noises. So it's on it's way out.

Damn!

So the only way around this is to delete the Windows stuff on the old HD...

... and install an OS on the new HD.

Keeping the App's on the old and the OS on the new.

See, even though the old HD works it's starting to make strange noises. So it's on it's way out.

That might work, but I forgot to mention something.

What you're suggesting is actually the exact same set-up I have on my computer. The old HD is acting as a storage drive (with all my old programs) and the new HD has the OS and imprtant files on it.

The old hard drive CANNOT run the programs I mentioned before, like Adobe programs and most of my other synth programs. If I go to my old hard drive folder right now (E:) and try to open a game or a program, there's a 50/50 chance that it will/won't work.

It sucks that he didn't keep his CDs organized. I learned the hard way, too. I've still got my old CDs, but I have a bad habit of losing CD keys. :rolleyes:

That might work, but I forgot to mention something.

What you're suggesting is actually the exact same set-up I have on my computer. The old HD is acting as a storage drive (with all my old programs) and the new HD has the OS and imprtant files on it.

The old hard drive CANNOT run the programs I mentioned before, like Adobe programs and most of my other synth programs. If I go to my old hard drive folder right now (E:) and try to open a game or a program, there's a 50/50 chance that it will/won't work.

It sucks that he didn't keep his CDs organized. I learned the hard way, too. I've still got my old CDs, but I have a bad habit of losing CD keys. :rolleyes:

lol! Nice one.

He got the set-up built for him so he doesn't have anything for it. But at the same time if his HD dies he'll loose everything he's done for the last 7 years!

:rolleyes:

I gotta figure out what to do even if it means using his old HD in the new set up and just setting up a RAID 1 array with the new SATA drives for his important files. At least he can savage his work.

Thanks for the replies by the way...

:)

Back
Top Bottom